Danielle Wallace

A Wisconsin DUI case in which police officers ordered the blood of an unconscious man be drawn for evidence without first getting a warrant was heard by the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday.

Prosecutors argued that drawing the blood of unconscious drivers helps convict those who kill thousands of people a year in alcohol-related car accidents, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. They said the process of getting a warrant is too inconvenient and that Wisconsin’s implied consent law does not require officers to get a warrant before drawing the blood of those suspected of driving while intoxicated, including individuals who are unconscious at the time.

JACQUI SABURIDO, WHO BECAME THE FACE OF ANTI-DRUNK DRIVING CAMPAIGNS, DEAD AT AGE 40

Implied consent laws, which exist in different forms in all 50 states, mandate that drivers who are arrested on suspicion of drunken driving agree to a blood test or have their licenses revoked. If a driver denies a blood test, that fact can be used against them in court. Civil rights advocates, libertarian groups and defense lawyers said the law in this case violates the defendant’s right to protection against unreasonable searches and seizures guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving and the libertarian think-tank, the Cato Institute, filed on both sides regarding the case of Wisconsin v. Gerald P. Mitchell. The driver was arrested in 2013 after he blew .24 blood alcohol concentration on a preliminary breath test, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Even though the blood test showed Mitchell had a .22 BAC, he demanded the evidence be removed from court because officers never asked for a warrant. His request was denied and he was convicted of a seventh DUI offense and served three years. Mitchell appealed to state Supreme Court, which upheld the conviction. But state justices could not agree on the rationale behind officers being allowed to take blood of an unconscious suspect without a warrant.

Source: Fox News National

The 5-year-old boy who was thrown off a balcony inside Mall of America earlier this month is making a miraculous recovery and an MRI scan show that his injuries are similar to that of a child who fell off his bike, not someone who fell 40 feet, the family’s pastor said.

Landen Hoffman underwent a five-hour long MRI scan and doctors determined that his injuries were not as serious as they once feared, Mac Hammond, a pastor from the family’s church, said on Easter Sunday, according to KARE.

R. Stephen Tillitt, an attorney who represents the family, told The Associated Press he couldn’t confirm or deny that information as if would invade the Hoffmans’ privacy.

The story made national headlines. Landen and his mother were standing outside a restaurant when police said they were approached by a man who threw the boy over the railing.

Emmanuel Aranda, 24, of Minneapolis, faces attempted murder charges, WQAD reported.

MAN ACCUSED OF TOSSING BOY FROM MALL OF AMERICA BALCONY FACES JUDGE

Landen Hoffman, the 5-year-old boy who was thrown nearly 40 feet from the third story balcony at the Mall of America, is said to be making a miraculous recovery.

Landen Hoffman, the 5-year-old boy who was thrown nearly 40 feet from the third story balcony at the Mall of America, is said to be making a miraculous recovery. (Christian Broadcasting Service)

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

After years of visiting the mall trying to pick up women, Aranda allegedly told police the constant rejection made him lash out, WQAD reported.

A GoFundMe page created by a family friend raised almost $1 million for Landen’s healing process.

“Doctors said they found no brain damage…not even any swelling,” Hammond said. “No spinal damage, no nerve damage … doctors are saying it is truly a miracle.”

Source: Fox News National

A second man is scheduled to be executed in Texas on Wednesday in connection with the 1998 killing of 49-year-old James Byrd Jr., a black man who was beaten by known white supremacists, chained to the back of a pickup truck and dragged for almost 3 miles before his body was dismembered.

TEXAS TOWN REFLECTS ON DRAGGING DEATH AHEAD OF EXECUTION

John William King, 44, will be put to death almost 21 years after being convicted in one of the nation’s most ruthless hate crimes. Lawrence Russell Brewer was executed by lethal injection in 2011. A third person, Shawn Berry, is serving a life sentence in prison but will be eligible for parole in 2038, Houston’s FOX 26 reported.

FILE - In this Sept. 21, 2011, file photo, Ricky Jason wears a photo of James Byrd Jr. outside the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Huntsville Unit before the execution of Lawrence Russell Brewer in Huntsville, Texas. (Associated Press)

FILE – In this Sept. 21, 2011, file photo, Ricky Jason wears a photo of James Byrd Jr. outside the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Huntsville Unit before the execution of Lawrence Russell Brewer in Huntsville, Texas. (Associated Press)

King repeatedly appealed his guilty verdict, claiming Berry was solely responsible for Byrd’s death and that his counsel did not effectively assist him during trial. A federal appeals court maintained his conviction last year, and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear his case in October.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

King is scheduled to be put to death at 6 p.m. Wednesday. At the same time, the Byrd family will hold a prayer vigil in Jasper, Texas, at a park named after Byrd, FOX 26 reported. Byrd’s family still hopes to build a multicultural center and museum in Jasper to promote diversity and education.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

The governor’s mansion in Baton Rouge, La., experienced an extraordinary security breach last week after a man trespassed into the property before damaging a table and falling asleep on a couch, state police revealed Monday.

Thirty-four-year-old Reynard Green was booked Wednesday on simple burglary, criminal trespass and criminal damage to property, possession of a Schedule I narcotic and two counts of battery of a police officer, The Advocate reported. It was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney.

NEW ORLEANS CHURCH HAS GOOD FRIDAY GAS GIVEAWAY, PRAYERS AT THE PUMP

Green was found asleep on a couch and had broken an antique table, authorities said.

Reynard Green of Baton Rouge was booked Wednesday on counts including simple burglary, criminal trespass and criminal damage to property. It was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney.

Reynard Green of Baton Rouge was booked Wednesday on counts including simple burglary, criminal trespass and criminal damage to property. It was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney. (Louisiana State Police)

State Police spokesman J.B. Slaton said Green also had assaulted two law enforcement officers after being taken to a police headquarters.

Slaton said that while the breach remains under investigation, authorities are reviewing security protocols at the mansion “for potential areas of improvement.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Authorities wouldn’t immediately comment on whether Gov. John Bel Edwards or his family were in the mansion at the time. A spokesman for the governor referred comment to the State Police.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A 66-year-old licensed Bay Area lawyer was arrested Sunday after he allegedly taped a camera to his shoe and then “moved his shoe so that the camera was under a female juvenile’s dress” at an Apple Store in Walnut Creek, Calif., police said.

WISCONSIN BROTHERS ACCUSED OF YEARS-LONG SEXUAL ABUSE OF SIBLINGS; FATHER BLAMED ‘RAGING HORMONES’

Jacques Bloxham, who is a personal injury attorney, was reportedly confronted by the girl’s father and fled the store. Officers said they found various cameras and recording devices in the suspect’s car in addition to the one attached to his shoe.

Bloxham was arrested around 3 p.m. and booked into Contra Costa County Jail on suspicion of using a camera to secretly record the undergarments of another person, along with annoying or molesting a child under 18, San Francisco Chronicle reported. He later posted bail.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Police are investigating whether Bloxham recorded others and urge anyone with information to call the Walnut Creek Police Department.

Bloxham was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1986. He founded the Injury Law Center “in response to the public’s need for a personal injury attorney with honesty, integrity and a new understanding of the needs of injured clients,” according to his Yelp business profile.

Source: Fox News National

An overweight American airline passenger who insisted that a female Taiwanese flight attendant assist him during a restroom visit on a flight from Los Angeles to Taipei in January reportedly died of an unspecified illness while on a beach vacation on the island of Koh Samui in Thailand.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT ACCUSES PASSENGER OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT AFTER HE DEMANDS SHE WIPE HIM

An unnamed EVA Air flight attendant had accused the passenger of sexual harassment after describing how the man, who claimed to have had surgery on his hand, threatened to relieve himself on the floor of the plane if the all-female flight crew did not assist him in the restroom, Taiwan News reported.

The estimated 440-pound man who used a wheelchair refused to leave the restroom until flight attendants complied with his requests. The air crew originally refused, until the head flight attendant put on three pairs of latex gloves and assisted him — as he moaned for her to go “deeper” and clean him again, the New York Post reported.

An attorney for the man reached out to the Taiwanese international airline, EVA Air, this week to inform the company that the man died sometime in March. EVA Air had been reaching out to him for three months to inform him he could not travel on a scheduled flight from Tapei to San Francisco with the airline.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The man was also involved in another disturbance in May 2018 when he allegedly defecated in his underwear during an EVA Air flight, Focus Taiwan reported. The airline will refund the cost of his unused airfare to the man’s family, the New York Post reported.

Fox News’ Alexandra Deabler contributed to this report. 

Source: Fox News World

Eight firefighters, from two separate agencies, were hospitalized Friday after an explosion at an Arizona Public Service facility in Surprise, where utility-sized lithium batteries used in the storage and distribution of solar energy are housed.

FDNY SPIRIT RUN HONORS FIREFIGHTERS WHO BATTLED NOTRE DAME FIRE

Four firefighters from the Peoria Fire-Medical Department were seriously injured. One firefighter was in critical condition after being knocked unconscious. Two others were in serious condition, Capt. Ken Wier told FOX 10 of Phoenix.

Three of the most seriously hurt firefighters were airlifted to Maricopa County Medical Center’s burn unit in Phoenix while the fourth was transported to a West Valley hospital, Michael Selmer, a spokesman for the department, told AZCentral.com.

Four additional firefighters from the city of Surprise were taken to a hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, Battalion Chief Julie Moore of the Surprise Fire Department told AZCentral.

Fire teams from Peoria and Surprise both responded to APS McMicken Energy Storage facility around 6 p.m. after someone passing by spotted spoke, Moore said. Firefighters began inspecting a utility-size lithium battery for hazardous chemical levels. An explosion occurred as a Peoria Fire hazmat team attempted to enter the facility.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

APS spokesman Alan Bunnell said the facility will cooperate with a full investigation into the cause of the explosion. He said firefighters were called to the site to investigate a possible equipment failure. Meanwhile, firefighters from various agencies in Phoenix gathered outside the Maricopa Medical Center on Friday evening to rally behind their fellow first-responders, AZCentral reported.

Source: Fox News National

Denver International Airport built a wall of sorts — a 1,000-foot-long collection of illuminated poles interrupted by large television screens for displaying ads — but now the wall doesn’t work right.

The $14.5 million government-funded Panasonic sign has broken down after only 16 months in operation, leaving many questioning if the sign will ever rake in enough ad dollars to recoup the large investment, according to a report.

LAX TRAVELERS WARNED ABOUT POSSIBLE MEASLES EXPOSURE AGAIN

The structure had been gradually deteriorating since being activated in 2017. The airport decided to shut off the “sticks” on April 5 until Panasonic can repair the problems, the Denver Post reported. The sign will still display advertisements on its large television screens in the meantime.

Panasonic received $11.5 from Denver International to build the sign and another $3 million to maintain it over 12 years, the Post reported. The airport grossed only $21,000 on its investment in 2018, prompting city officials to step in to ramp up ad sales, Denver’s FOX 31 reported.

The Denver City Council hired an outside advertising firm, Outfront Media LLC, in February, to try to convince companies to place their ads on the multimillion-dollar sign. As per the contract, the airport will receive a minimum of $12,500 in monthly revenue until the sign begins to generate more revenue.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The airport will receive 67 percent of gross ad sales, the rest going to the firm, Denver International told FOX 31. However, the airport expects to generate revenue at a higher pace in the coming months, expecting $1.2 worth of ad sales by the end of the contract’s first year.

Source: Fox News National

An Australian man who served 12 years in jail for a murder he did not commit died in a hit-and-run accident in Los Angeles on Thursday at the age of 56, The West Australian reported.

Mallard was walking across the street around 1:30 a.m. when a driver struck him and failed to stop, LAPD told The West Australian. A witness attempted to administer CPR, but Mallard died at the scene. The British-born Australian was on vacation in the U.S. from his home in the United Kingdom when he passed.

FLORIDA DRIVER CRITICALLY INJURED IN SHOCKING HIT-AND-RUN ROLLOVER CRASH

Mallard was sentenced to life in prison in 1995 for murdering Pamela Lawrence in her Mosman Park jewelry store on May 23, 1994, WA Today reported. The High Court of Australia exonerated Mallard in 2006 after discovering prosecutors withheld information from the defense team.

“It’s just fortunate that he got to spend 13 years of freedom after so much time wrongfully imprisoned,” Attorney-General John Quigley who fought for Mallard’s freedom told The Western Australian. The Australian state government paid Mallard a $2 million settlement in 2009 for his wrongful conviction.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Police conducted two separate investigations into the cold case in 2006 and found new evidence to charge a different man, Simon Rochford, in the murder. Rochford, who had been found guilty of murdering his girlfriend Brigitta Dickens, committed suicide in Albany Prison before prosecutors could try the case. Mallard was finally eliminated as a suspect.

Western Australian police notified Mallard’s family of his death and offered condolences during this difficult time, a spokesperson for the department said.

Source: Fox News World

An armed right-wing militia group operating along the U.S.-Mexico border posted several videos to social media this week, including one in which they held about 200 asylum-seeking migrants at gunpoint near Sunland Park, N.M., until U.S. Border Patrol agents arrived, according to a report.

THOUSANDS MORE CENTRAL AMERICAN MIGRANTS APPROACH U.S.-MEXICO BORDER

The militia group, which calls itself the United Constitutional Patriots, said it is determined to monitor the border until President Trump fulfills his campaign promise of a border wall or until Congress enacts stronger legislation to make it more difficult for migrants to request asylum, Jim Benvie, a spokesman, told The New York Times in a phone interview.

“It should go without saying that regular citizens have no authority to arrest or detain anyone,” the governor of New Mexico, Michelle Lujan Grisham, said in a statement to The New York Times, adding that it is “completely unacceptable” that migrants be “menaced or threatened” upon entering the U.S.

The American Civil Liberties Union said in a statement that “the Trump administration’s vile racism” emboldened these groups.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Carlos A. Diaz, a spokesperson for Customs and Border Protection, would not divulge specific details about the scene in the video or about the United Constitutional Patriots, but said in a statement that Border Patrol “does not endorse private groups or organizations taking enforcement matters into their own hands.”

Source: Fox News National


Current track

Title

Artist