fnc

Page: 3

Hillary Clinton hasn’t announced a 2020 run for the White House but remarks she delivered in Houston may have sounded like a campaign speech to some listeners.

Clinton launched a fiery attack Friday against President Trump, claiming the president tweeted a disputed video of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi because he was “running scared.”

“Just look at what’s happened in the last 24 hours,” she said. “The president and his cronies have been running around spreading a doctored video of Nancy Pelosi. Now, it is sexist trash. But it is also a sign that Trump is running scared.”

JOY BEHAR: STAFF WHO KEPT HILLARY CLINTON FROM ‘THE VIEW’ SHOULD HAVE ‘BEEN FIRED’

The former secretary of state, U.S. senator and 2016 Democratic presidential nominee made the remarks at a gathering of the Harris County Democratic Party.

Her speech seemed aimed at motivating Houston-area Democrats to get out the vote for the party’s candidates in 2020.

CLINTON ‘IMAGINES’ SCENARIO WHERE 2020 DEM HOPEFUL ASKS CHINA TO GET TRUMP’S TAX RETURNS

‘Constitutional crisis’

“We have to remind Americans we are the party that can deliver for them,” Clinton said. “But we also are the party that will stand up and protect the Constitution and address what is a very real constitutional crisis that this president has put us in.”

Earlier this month, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., declared the U.S. was in a “constitutional crisis,” after Attorney General William Barr declined to testify before his panel after being subpoenaed.

Nadler claimed the Trump administration was “stonewalling” efforts by congressional Democrats to continue probes into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, even though Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report on the investigation he led for two years claimed no evidence of collusion existed.

The next day after Nadler spoke, Pelosi said she agreed with him that the nation was in a constitutional crisis.

HILLARY CLINTON REPLIES TO TRUMP’S TWEET ON HER 2020 ANNOUNCEMENT WITH ‘MEAN GIRLS’ GIF

President Trump, meanwhile, has maintained that the Russia investigations still underway in Congress should end because of Mueller’s findings, and claimed that the Democrats’ continued focus on Russia was designed to motivate their voters in 2020 – and was perhaps proof that the party had not yet recovered from Trump’s defeat of Clinton in 2016.

Some political observers have suggested that Clinton could make a third bid for the presidency in 2020 if none of the more than 20 Democrats currently in the running emerges as a clear threat to deny Trump a second term.

A recent Fox News Poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden leading the Democratic field with support from 35 percent of respondents, followed by Sen. Bernie Sanders at 17 percent and the rest of the pack in single digits.

Biden baggage?

But a Biden nomination would carry some baggage heading into a general election: The former U.S. senator from Delaware is known for gaffes during public appearances and recently drew criticism for his history of placing his hands on women and girls. In addition, his son Hunter Biden has drawn scrutiny over business dealings in China, Ukraine and Romania.

A sudden loss of confidence in Biden among Democratic voters, coupled with the failure of any of the other Democrats to fill the void, could motivate Clinton – who attracted nearly 66 million votes in 2016 – to make another run at the White House, some argue.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Clinton made headlines in March when she told a New York-area news station that she would not seek the presidency in 2020.

“Aw-shucks,” President Trump responded in a Twitter message, “does that mean I won’t get to run against her again? She will be sorely missed!”

But just a day later, “someone close to Clinton” told the New York Times that Clinton didn’t intend for her comments to “close the door on running.”

“She has told her team she is waiting at least to see the Mueller report,” the Times reported, citing the same source.

But has Clinton’s chance to win the presidency come and gone? A joint speaking tour with her husband, former President Bill Clinton, resulted in plunging ticket prices in several cities. In December, deals on tickets were being offered on Groupon.

Last week, Newsweek magazine featured the Clintons on its cover with the headline, “Clintons in Exile: What’s it like when you’re no longer the world’s most powerful couple?”

Source: Fox News Politics

More than 1,000 people have attended a mass wedding banquet in Taiwan’s capital to celebrate the marriage of same-sex couples after a landmark decision legalizing the unions.

Taiwan became the first place in Asia to recognize same-sex marriage last week following a vote by the island’s legislature.

LGBT couples clad in flowing white gowns and matching suits gathered in Taipei on Saturday evening to walk down a red carpet flanked by cheering supporters.

They were honored in a gala that featured an emcee who wished them “100 years of happiness.” A drag queen also performed with a group of scantily clad men.

Taiwan split with mainland China amid a civil war in 1949. China’s ruling Communist Party considers the island part of its territory.

Source: Fox News World

Bulgarians are voting in the European Parliament elections after a series of scandals overshadowed the debate on key issues of the EU’s future.

Voters on Sunday are casting ballots for their country’s 17 seats in the 751-member European Parliament. The vote is seen as a test for the center-right party of Prime Minister Boyko Borissov, which suffered a setback after senior officials were involved in corruption scandals.

Latest surveys show only three parties, belonging to mainstream European political groups, passing the election threshold — the ruling GERB party, the Socialist party, and the liberal MRF.

Projections suggest the nationalist and far-right vote will be split between several smaller parties, which could prevent them from capturing seats in the EU legislature.

Source: Fox News World

After five months in office, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro is battling an uncooperative Congress, street protests, a family corruption scandal and falling approval ratings.

The stumbling start for the far-right leader who rode a wave of dissatisfaction with Brazil’s political class to victory has led his backers to organize demonstrations in support of him in cities across the country on Sunday. But the vaguely worded calls, representing a mixed bag of demands and protests, are being questioned by some in Bolsonaro’s political party and in right-wing movements. Bolsonaro himself has said he will not participate.

The idea for demonstrations in favor of Bolsonaro gained steam after tens of thousands of people across Brazil last week protested budget cuts to public education imposed by his government.

Source: Fox News World

A man who attracted notoriety as the “Barefoot Bandit” has been ordered to complete his probation after requesting that he be allowed to visit friends overseas and accept work outside Washington state as a motivational speaker, according to reports.

Colton Harris-Moore, now 28, claimed that the work would help him pay off more than $1 million in restitution he still owes to victims of his crimes.

Harris-Moore was sentenced in 2012 to more than six years in prison plus three years of supervised probation after being convicted following a string of crimes that included dozens of thefts and burglaries, the smashing of vehicles and the crash-landings of three stolen airplanes.

MAN ALLEGEDLY HIDING DRUGS IN BACKSIDE ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTS HIMSELF IN TESTICLES

His nickname came from the sketches of a bare footprint that he often left behind at the crime scenes, and committed some crimes without wearing shoes or socks, reports said.

In arguing for her client to be relieved early of his probation obligations, attorney Colleen Hartl argued that Harris-Moore is a different person now than he was during his crime spree a decade ago, the Seattle Times reported.

“The ‘Barefoot Bandit’ has not been his identity or reality for over 10 years. The ‘Barefoot Bandit’ is gone,” Hartl wrote, according to court documents.

But U.S. District Court Judge Richard A. Jones, who received Harris-Moore’s request in April, denied it Friday, noting that Harris-Moore had not produced proof that he received any real offers for his services as a motivational speaker, Seattle’s KOMO-TV reported.

Harris-Moore also made his request for travel without informing his probation officer, which should have been the first step, the judge noted, according to the station’s report.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

His crime spree began in 2008 after he escaped from a juvenile halfway house in Washington state, and ended in the Bahamas, where he crash-landed a plane that he stole in Indiana, KOMO reported.

“Upon completion of his entire sentence and continued effort to deliver on his promise to make everyone whole, Mr. Harris-Moore can shed the ‘Barefoot Bandit’ moniker and instead be known as Colton Harris-Moore, the role model for having turned his life of challenges into a success story to inspire others,” the judge wrote in his ruling.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A man who attracted notoriety as the “Barefoot Bandit” has been ordered to complete his probation after requesting that he be allowed to visit friends overseas and accept work outside Washington state as a motivational speaker, according to reports.

Colton Harris-Moore, now 28, claimed that the work would help him pay off more than $1 million in restitution he still owes to victims of his crimes.

Harris-Moore was sentenced in 2012 to more than six years in prison plus three years of supervised probation after being convicted following a string of crimes that included dozens of thefts and burglaries, the smashing of vehicles and the crash-landings of three stolen airplanes.

MAN ALLEGEDLY HIDING DRUGS IN BACKSIDE ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTS HIMSELF IN TESTICLES

His nickname came from the sketches of a bare footprint that he often left behind at the crime scenes, and committed some crimes without wearing shoes or socks, reports said.

In arguing for her client to be relieved early of his probation obligations, attorney Colleen Hartl argued that Harris-Moore is a different person now than he was during his crime spree a decade ago, the Seattle Times reported.

“The ‘Barefoot Bandit’ has not been his identity or reality for over 10 years. The ‘Barefoot Bandit’ is gone,” Hartl wrote, according to court documents.

But U.S. District Court Judge Richard A. Jones, who received Harris-Moore’s request in April, denied it Friday, noting that Harris-Moore had not produced proof that he received any real offers for his services as a motivational speaker, Seattle’s KOMO-TV reported.

Harris-Moore also made his request for travel without informing his probation officer, which should have been the first step, the judge noted, according to the station’s report.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

His crime spree began in 2008 after he escaped from a juvenile halfway house in Washington state, and ended in the Bahamas, where he crash-landed a plane that he stole in Indiana, KOMO reported.

“Upon completion of his entire sentence and continued effort to deliver on his promise to make everyone whole, Mr. Harris-Moore can shed the ‘Barefoot Bandit’ moniker and instead be known as Colton Harris-Moore, the role model for having turned his life of challenges into a success story to inspire others,” the judge wrote in his ruling.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

With a message of unity, former Argentine President Cristina Fernández and running mate Alberto Fernández kicked off their election campaign almost a week after the ex-leader stunned the country by saying she was running for vice president.

Many thought Cristina Fernández, who governed Argentina from 2007 to 2015, would head any presidential ticket and the news that she would play the undercard to her and her late husband’s one-time Cabinet chief came as a surprise. The ex-president was seen as the main challenger to President Mauricio Macri.

“I felt obliged to do this,” Cristina Fernández said to thousands of supporters ia a poor area in western Buenos Aires.

Fernández’s decision to only run as vice president has put a more moderate challenger at the helm of the Unidad Ciudadana ticket.

Source: Fox News World

With a message of unity, former Argentine President Cristina Fernández and running mate Alberto Fernández kicked off their election campaign almost a week after the ex-leader stunned the country by saying she was running for vice president.

Many thought Cristina Fernández, who governed Argentina from 2007 to 2015, would head any presidential ticket and the news that she would play the undercard to her and her late husband’s one-time Cabinet chief came as a surprise. The ex-president was seen as the main challenger to President Mauricio Macri.

“I felt obliged to do this,” Cristina Fernández said to thousands of supporters ia a poor area in western Buenos Aires.

Fernández’s decision to only run as vice president has put a more moderate challenger at the helm of the Unidad Ciudadana ticket.

Source: Fox News World

Attorneys general from 47 states sent a letter Friday to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos asking her to forgive more than $1 billion in student loans for disabled veterans.

The letter stated that the Department of Education should establish a program to automatically discharge the loans. Only 9,000 of the 42,000 veterans eligible for loan forgiveness have applied for a discharge. As of April, more than 25,000 veterans were in default.

“As a nation, we have a moral obligation to assist those who have put their lives on the line to defend us,” the letter said.

WANT TO HELP OUR MILITARY VETERANS? HERE’S HOW

In this April 10 photo, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, file)

In this April 10 photo, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, file)

Attorneys general from three territories and the District of Columbia also signed the letter, while those from Texas, Arizona and Alabama did not.

Permanently disabled veterans can have their loans forgiven under federal law, but the process if filled with bureaucratic red tape.

GEICO SKYTYPERS AIR TEAM PAYS TRIBUTE TO ARMED FORCES AHEAD OF MEMORIAL DAY WITH STATUE OF LIBERTY FLYBY

“The current approach is inadequate,” the letter said. “The cost of education for our disabled veterans today is soaring, and it would be of great benefit to those who are burdened by these crushing debts to obtain relief without arduous compliance requirements.”

In a statement, the Education Department said veterans should be fully informed before making decisions about their student loans, Reuters reported. It cited whether it would increase their tax bills or make it harder to obtain education loans in the future as examples.

“While ‘automatic discharge’ may seem like a simple solution, there are long-term impacts we want all veterans to have the chance to consider before their loans are discharged,” the department said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The letter said student loan forgiveness for disabled veterans has the support of lawmakers from both parties and from veterans groups.

“We now urge the department to take action to better protect those who once protected the nation,” the letter said. “Our veterans deserve nothing less.”

Source: Fox News National

In an apparent contradiction of his national security adviser, President Donald Trump on Sunday downplayed recent North Korean missile tests, tweeting from Tokyo that they’re not a concern for him — even though they are for Japan.

Trump also said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s attacks on one of his Democratic rivals, former Vice President Joe Biden, had made him smile.

The remarks were the latest example of Trump’s willingness to publicly undermine senior advisers, flout Democratic norms and side with totalitarian leaders, even on the world stage. He did so this time during a four-day state visit to Japan where he’ll become the first leader to meet with the country’s new emperor.

“North Korea fired off some small weapons, which disturbed some of my people, and others, but not me,” Trump tweeted in one of a flurry of early morning messages that suggested he’d spent little time sleeping after the lengthy flight to Asia.

“Some” of his “people” appear to include national security adviser John Bolton, who told reporters at a briefing Saturday ahead of Trump’s arrival that a series of short-range missile tests by North Korea earlier this month were a violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions.

“In terms of violating U.N. Security Council resolutions, there is no doubt about that,” said Bolton, responding to the May 4 and 9 tests that ended a pause in launches that began in late 2017. Trump ignored a shouted question Sunday about whether he agreed with Bolton’s assessment.

Trump and other administration officials have sought to downplay the significance of the tests, insisting they do not violate an agreement Trump reached with Kim for a moratorium on launches.

“The moratorium was focused, very focused, on intercontinental missile systems, the ones that threaten the United States,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a recent television interview. That raised alarm bells in Japan, where short-range missiles pose a serious threat because of the country’s proximity to North Korea.

Trump in his tweet said he had “confidence that Chairman Kim will keep his promise to me,” while at the same time embracing Kim’s recent attacks on Biden, whose name he misspelled.

Trump said he “smiled” when Kim “called Swampman Joe Bidan a low IQ individual, & worse.”

“Perhaps that’s sending me a signal?” Trump asked.

North Korea this week labeled Biden a “fool of low IQ” and an “imbecile bereft of elementary quality as a human being” after the U.S. presidential hopeful accused Trump of cozying up to “dictators and tyrants” like Kim and Russian President Vladimir Putin during his campaign launch speech.

Biden’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment Sunday, but a spokesman for his campaign, Andrew Bates said Wednesday that, “Given Vice President Biden’s record of standing up for American values and interests, it’s no surprise that North Korea would prefer that Donald Trump remain in the White House.”

The tweet came early Sunday before Trump left his hotel for a round of golf with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. He’ll also be attending a sumo wrestling match and handing out a “President’s Cup” to the winner as part of a visit meant to showcase the close ties between the nations.

___

Associated Press writers Darlene Superville and Mari Yamaguchi contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News World


Current track

Title

Artist