fox-news/us/us-regions/west/california

The California “house of horrors” parents who abused and tortured some of their 13 children face being sentenced to 25 years to life in prison Friday, a day after the 911 call from one of their daughters which helped lead to their downfall was released.

David and Louise Turpin pleaded guilty in Riverside County Superior Court in February to torture and other abuse and neglect so severe it stunted their children’s growth, led to muscle wasting and left two girls unable to bear children.

Their 17-year-old daughter was able to escape the filthy home in a middle-class section of Perris, about 60 miles southeast of Los Angeles. She jumped out of the window and used a cell phone to alert authorities. ABC News obtained the 911 call the girl made to authorities, pleading for help.

“I’ve never been out,” the teen told the dispatcher. “I don’t go out much.”

CALIFORNIA ‘HOUSE OF HORRORS’ PARENTS PLEAD GUILTY

“My parents are abusive,” she said in the call. “My two little sisters right now are chained up right now … they’re chained up to their bed.”

“Sometimes we live in filth and sometimes I wake up and I can’t breathe because how dirty the house is,” she told the dispatcher.

In this June 20, 2018, file photo Louise Turpin, left, and her husband, David Turpin, right, appear for a preliminary hearing in Superior Court in Riverside, Calif. 

In this June 20, 2018, file photo Louise Turpin, left, and her husband, David Turpin, right, appear for a preliminary hearing in Superior Court in Riverside, Calif.  (AP)

When asked by the dispatcher when the last time she took a bath, she replied, “I don’t know. Almost a year ago.”

Authorities arrived at the home in January 2018 and were shocked by what they saw. A 22-year-old son was chained to a bed and two girls had just been set free from their shackles. The house was covered in filth and the stench of human waste was overwhelming, police said.

CALIFORNIA HOUSE WHERE ALLEGED TORTURE OF 13 CHILDREN TOOK PLACE GOES UP FOR SALE, REPORT SAYS

Authorities said the children barely left the home except for the occasional family vacation, slept most of the day and were mostly kept in their rooms.

The children said they were beaten, caged and shackled to beds if they didn’t obey their parents. The children ranged in age from 2 to 29.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

David Turpin, 57, had been an engineer for Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman. Louise Turpin, 50, was listed as a housewife in a 2011 bankruptcy filing.

It was not immediately clear if any of the children will attend the sentencing, but they will be offered a chance to speak or can offer written statements to be read in court.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A California man on Wednesday suffered third-degree burns to the front half of his body after he used a lighter to melt a gasoline-filled jug, fire officials said.

The unintended immolation took place in a Target parking lot in Modesto, about 100 miles east of San Francisco. The man, who was not identified, had melted the mouth of the jug to make pouring gasoline into his car easier, his girlfriend told investigators.

The jug exploded into flames, setting the man and another vehicle on fire, The Sacramento Bee reported. Dustin Bruley, a supervisor of the Stanislaus Regional Fire Investigation Unit, told The Bee that the man was burned from his face to his feet and his shoes were melted.

MAN SETS HIMSELF ABLAZE ON PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, AND NORTH LAWN IS CLEARED

“He ran from the car and several citizens assisted him to the ground and helped put out the fire,” Bruley said. A Target employee put out the car fire with a fire extinguisher, Fox 40 reported.

GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The man was airlifted to UC Davis Medical Center’s burn unit in Sacramento. Officials are reviewing surveillance footage.

Source: Fox News National

The Golden City appears to be turning a shade of brown.

San Francisco’s streets have long had a problem with human waste, but new reports show that the Bay Area’s public bowel movements are worse than ever.

SAN FRANCISCO DUBBED ‘DOO-DOO CAPITAL’ OF THE COUNTRY, AMID SPIKE IN WASTE COMPLAINTS

The poop-data was released by Open the Books, a nonprofit government watchdog, which includes all cases closed by the San Francisco Department of Public Works since 2011, Business Insider reported.

There were over 5,000 documented cases in 2011, according to the data. In 2018, that number rose more than fivefold to over 28,000 reported cases.

The so-called Bay Area “brownout” has been attributed to the city’s large homeless population. Out of the 7,499 homeless people recorded in 2017, about 58 percent, or 4,353 people, were marked as unsheltered. The other 3,146 were designated sheltered.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP 

San Francisco’s politicians have attempted to address the problem, forming a “Poop Patrol” tasked with scouring the city streets, cleansing them of fecal matter.

Source: Fox News National

More than four decades after two women along California‘s central coast were raped and murdered, officials revealed Wednesday that DNA from an old razer has linked the cold case killings to a man who died of cancer while in prison.

The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that DNA recovered at the scene of the twin murders in Atascadero matched to DNA from Arthur Rudy Martinez, who died in 2014 at the age of 65 in a prison in Spokane, Washington.

“Our hearts go out to the families of the victims and are hopeful the resolution to these cases brings them some closure,” San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson said in a statement. “With the advancements in DNA technology and having an investigative focus solely on these types of cases, this case proves the value of having this important position.”

STEPHANE HENDERSON: TEXAS AUTHORITIES BOOST REWARD IN BID TO SOLVE 1993 COLD CASE

Authorities were able to get DNA off an old razor in order to make the match, KSBY reported.

Jane Morton Antunez (left) and Patricia Dwyer (right) were killed two months apart in the late 1970s.

Jane Morton Antunez (left) and Patricia Dwyer (right) were killed two months apart in the late 1970s. (San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office)

The first killing was reported on Nov. 18, 1977 when the body of 30-year-old Jane Morton Antunez was found in the back seat of her car on a dirt road in Atascadero. Antunez’s throat had been cut and she had been sexually assaulted, according to the sheriff’s office.

“Witnesses had reported she picked up a man in her car but that was never confirmed,” police said.

DNA evidence has linked the cold-case rape and murder of two women in California's Central Coast to Arthur Rudy Martinez, seen in this 1977 photo.

DNA evidence has linked the cold-case rape and murder of two women in California’s Central Coast to Arthur Rudy Martinez, seen in this 1977 photo. ((San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office via AP)

Less than two months later, the body of 28-year-old Patricia Dwyer was discovered on the floor of her home, also in Atascadero. Police said she was stabbed in the chest with a knife from her kitchen drawer and had been sexually assaulted.

“Both victim’s arms were bound behind their backs by different bindings that were found at each scene,” police said.

DNA HELPS IDENTITY 2 WOMEN FOUND DEAD IN TEXAS ‘KILLING FIELDS’ DECADES AGO

Authorities were able to place Martinez in the area at the time of both crimes and they discovered he worked at a local welding shop while on parole for convictions of attempted murder and rape. He left in January 1978 after the Dwyer homicide and moved to Spokane, Washington where authorities said he committed “numerous robberies and two rapes.”

This undated photo provided by the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office shows Arthur Rudy Martinez.

This undated photo provided by the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office shows Arthur Rudy Martinez. (San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office via AP)

After being convicted and given a life sentence for the crimes in Washington, Martinez was in prison from November 1978 until 1994 when he escaped from prison and spent the next 20 years living around Fresno, California under an alias.

Martinez finally turned himself in to authorities in April 2014 for the Washington convictions after finding out he had terminal cancer. He died in prison on June 18, 2014.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The sheriff’s office reopened the 41-year-old cold case in 2017 and decided to test Martinez’s DNA after one of his family members was connected to the case through a familial DNA search, the sheriff’s office said.

“Most likely this case would never have been solved if the initial investigators did not collect the valuable biological DNA evidence that was used to compare to Martinez’s DNA,” police said.

Detectives are still not sure if Martinez knew the two murder victims in California before their killings, and are asking anyone who may have information about Martinez to contact Detective Clint Cole at 805-788-2157.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A 29-year-old Marine Raider has been identified as the victim of a deadly crash during training at a Southern California base over the weekend.

Staff Sgt. Joshua Braica was injured Saturday when an MRZR tactical vehicle he was driving rolled over during an exercise at Camp Pendleton. He died at a local hospital the following day. Two other Marines suffered minor injuries.

Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Joshua Braica.

Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Joshua Braica. (United States Marine Corps)

Braica, of Sacramento, Calif., was a critical skills operator with the 1st Marine Raider Battalion and was an eight-year veteran. He is survived by his wife and son.

The cause of the accident is under investigation.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Braica’s death was the second tragedy at Camp Pendleton in less than a week. On April 11, the Marine Corps announced that 1st Lt. Matthew Kraft, who failed to return from a ski trip in the Sierra Nevada mountain range more than a month ago, had likely died of exposure.

Fox News’ Travis Fedschun and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A 29-year-old Marine Raider has been identified as the victim of a deadly crash during training at a Southern California base over the weekend.

Staff Sgt. Joshua Braica was injured Saturday when an MRZR tactical vehicle he was driving rolled over during an exercise at Camp Pendleton. He died at a local hospital the following day. Two other Marines suffered minor injuries.

Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Joshua Braica.

Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Joshua Braica. (United States Marine Corps)

Braica, of Sacramento, Calif., was a critical skills operator with the 1st Marine Raider Battalion and was an eight-year veteran. He is survived by his wife and son.

The cause of the accident is under investigation.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Braica’s death was the second tragedy at Camp Pendleton in less than a week. On April 11, the Marine Corps announced that 1st Lt. Matthew Kraft, who failed to return from a ski trip in the Sierra Nevada mountain range more than a month ago, had likely died of exposure.

Fox News’ Travis Fedschun and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A U.S. citizen hiking near San Felipe Mexico has been missing since Thursday.

The woman, Kat Hammontre, 68, set out on the hike with a group near the desert in the Mexican state of Baja California, but at one point hurt her ankle or foot and told others she’d stay put and await their return.

When the group returned from the short hike, neither Hammontre nor her dog was there, The Seattle Times reported.

Her husband, Warren Sundquist, who was waiting in a car, said she did not return to the vehicle, either. Searches have been carried out by local groups as well as the Mexican military, the paper said.

“When they came back about 90 minutes later, she was gone,” Hammontre’s friend Victoria Langsett told the San Diego NBC News affiliate. “There was no trace of her or the dog, no sign of a wild animal attack.”

Hammontre, originally from Seattle, has lived in Mexico for the last two decades. She wrote a blog titled “Kat’s Korner” and taught English to children in the community. She traveled back to Seattle often to visit family and friends.

Hammontre’s daughter, Desiree Blair, who lives in Spokane, Wash., described her mother as an experienced hiker and a tough person.

She said her mother smokes and if lost, would likely have started a fire to alert rescuers.

Blair said she is heading to San Felipe to take part in the search.

On Hammontre’s Facebook page, friends posted that search dogs had been taken to where she’d last been seen.

Her husband said he was accompanying authorities in the search.

Source: Fox News World

The attorney for a former Playboy model accused with two other people of killing a California psychiatrist in Las Vegas said his client had no role in the doctor’s death.

Kelsey Nichole Turner, 25, “categorically denies any role in the death of Dr. [Thomas Kirk] Burchard,” Brian James Smith, the model’s attorney, told The Associated Press. Turner was arrested on March 21 in Stockton, California. She is currently behind bars at the Clark County Jail in Las Vegas and being held without bail.

SECOND WOMAN ARRESTED IN CONNECTION TO MURDER OF ELDERLY PSYCHIATRIST FOUND IN THE TRUNK OF CAR IN LAS VEGAS DESERT

Burchard, 71, was discovered in the trunk of a blue Mercedes-Benz on March 7 near the entrance to the Lake Mead National Recreational Area in Las Vegas. Investigators spoke with Turner’s landlord, who told them the doctor paid for her rent on March 1 and “her lease was paid through June 2019,” KSNV reported which obtained the court records stated.

Burchard’s girlfriend of 17 years, Judy Earp, said that Burchard had given Turner at least $300,000 over the years that she knew of, and that she considers Turner “as evil as Charles Manson.” He reportedly gave a number of other women money over the course of their relationship, she said. Earp added that she believed Burchard was in the early stages of Alzheimer’s at the time of his death.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

On Saturday, a second woman, Diana Nicole Pena, 30, was arrested in connection with the doctor’s death. She surrendered to police in Las Vegas. Her attorney, Jess Matsuda, said his client didn’t kill Burchard. She was jailed without bail.

A third person — Turner’s boyfriend Jon Logan Kennison — remains wanted on murder and conspiracy charges. Pena is accused of working with Turner and Kennison to murder the doctor, according to The Californian. The three lived together at an apartment in Las Vegas.

Fox News’ Anna Hopkins and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A man suspected of using a samurai sword to kill his girlfriend last year at a survivalist bunker loaded with guns and ammo in northwest Washington was found dead in California, officials revealed Tuesday.

The Island County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release posted to Facebook a body pulled from the Feather River in Yuba City, California on April 7, 2018 has been identified as 35-year-old Jacob Gonzales.

The body was initially classified as a “John Doe” until November when investigators shared photos of tattoos on the body that led to tips that initially identified the body as Gonzales’.

Officials were eventually able to send DNA to a lab in California, which made the positive identification. Officials have not revealed a cause of death.

CAR BELONGING TO DECAPITATED WOMAN FOUND IN CALIFORNIA, CHARGES FILED IN SURVIVALIST BUNKER CASE

Gonzales had been sought by authorities in connection with the murder of 26-year-old Katherine Cunningham, whose decapitated body was discovered on March 3, 2018, near a survivalist bunker on the rural Camano Island, north of Seattle.

A body found in a river in California last April has been identified as Jacob Gonzales. The 35-year-old had been sought in slaying of a 26-year-old woman found beheaded near a survivalist bunker in Washington in 2018.

A body found in a river in California last April has been identified as Jacob Gonzales. The 35-year-old had been sought in slaying of a 26-year-old woman found beheaded near a survivalist bunker in Washington in 2018. (Island County Sheriff’s Office/KOMO-TV via NNS)

Near the headless corpse, investigators discovered a bunker dug into a hillside containing supplies, guns and ammo. Autopsy findings determined the 26-year-old woman’s cause of death was “homicidal violence with decapitation,” according to the coroner’s office.

“The subsequent investigation revealed that Katherine had been murdered on February 14th or 15th,” the sheriff’s office said Tuesday.

DECAPITATED BODY FOUND NEAR REMOTE AMMO-FILLED SURVIVALIST BUNKER IN WASHINGTON, POLICE SAY

Cunningham’s vehicle was found abandoned on Interstate 5 in Yreka, Calif., roughly 560 miles away on Feb. 16 and towed three days later by the California Highway Patrol, before her body was discovered.

“After Katherine was discovered, an attempt to locate was put out on her missing vehicle and the California Highway Patrol notified the Island County Sheriff’s Office that they had the vehicle,” police said. “Deputies from the Island County Sheriff’s Office recovered the vehicle from California and towed it back to Washington where Detectives obtained a search warrant.”

The body of 26-year-old Katherine Cunningham was found beheaded near a survivalist bunker in Washington in 2018.

The body of 26-year-old Katherine Cunningham was found beheaded near a survivalist bunker in Washington in 2018. (KOMO-TV via NNS)

Inside the vehicle, authorities discovered a samurai sword wrapped in a blanket that appeared to match the type of weapon used in the killing. Testing of the sword also found Cunningham’s DNA on the blade and Gonzales’ DNA on the handle, according to the sheriff’s office.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Authorities had been seeking Gonzales since March on a $1 million warrant. He was previously charged with 5 counts of unlawful possession of a firearm and one count of motor vehicle theft.

The sheriff’s office thanked the various agencies and tips from the public that helped with the investigation, and officials thanked the victim’s family.

“We would also like to thank Katherine’s family for their patience and their tireless efforts to keep Katherine in the public’s thoughts,” officials said.

Source: Fox News National

A family in California came inches from death Monday after an out-of-control car could be seen nearly striking them on a terrifying surveillance video.

The Napa Police Department said in a Facebook post a woman and 2 children just had stepped out of a restaurant when the driver of the car lost control.

“A VERY close call!” police said. “This scary video is a good reminder to always be aware of your surroundings.”

TRAIN SLAMS INTO SUV IN FLORIDA AFTER DRIVER SEEN MOVING ONTO TRACKS MOMENTS BEFORE IMPACT

The incident happened just outside of the Villa Corona restaurant, KTVU reported.

A woman and her 2 children were nearly struck by an out-of-control car in Napa, California on Monday.

A woman and her 2 children were nearly struck by an out-of-control car in Napa, California on Monday. (Napa Police Department)

The vehicle could be seen slamming into tables and chairs seconds after the family walked away, leaving a trail of destruction on the sidewalk.

Napa Police said two people were taken to the hospital, but only minor injuries were reported.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Additional details about the crash have yet to be released by authorities.

Source: Fox News National


Current track

Title

Artist