fox-news/world/world-regions/europe

Jorge Altieri runs his hands over old blood stains on a helmet that saved his life in 1982 when Argentina and Britain went to war over the Falkland Islands.

Looking at the treasured object is still a novelty: The helmet was recently returned to Altieri decades after he lost it on the battlefield where he was almost killed by shrapnel.

"I have it next to me now and I use it like a teddy bear," Altieri said. "I look at it and I get teary-eyed from all the memories."

Argentina lost the war for the South Atlantic archipelago after its troops embarked on an ill-fated invasion nearly 37 years ago, an international humiliation that claimed the lives of 649 Argentines and 255 British soldiers.

Argentina still claims the islands, which it calls the Malvinas. Britain says the Falklands are a self-governing entity under its protection.

After decades of tense relations, though, both countries have experienced a thaw, including a deal that allowed a multinational team of experts to exhume and identify the remains of dozens of Argentine soldiers.

Today, veterans and relatives of those who died also say the recovery of objects taken as war trophies has helped heal their scars.

"I can’t stop looking at it, thinking of what it did to stop the bomb shrapnel blowing my head off," Altieri said about his helmet, although he still lost an eye and part of his brain in a blast during battle for Mount Longdon on June 12, 1982, two days before fighting stopped.

In a parallel tale of reconciliation, Argentine veteran Diego Carlos Arreseigor announced March 7 that he is planning to return the blood-stained helmet of fallen British soldier Alexander Shaw, who was killed at Mount Longdon at age 25.

The helmet is expected to be delivered to Shaw’s sister, Susan, in April or May.

"Susan touched me with her spirituality. She was 15 when her brother left for the war," Arreseigor told The Associated Press.

Arreseigor said he had picked up the helmet in a pile of discarded equipment and hid it from a British soldier by keeping it under his jacket.

"I kept it these 37 years, always considering it a trophy of war, a sort of consolation for the loss and the pain of so many fallen friends," he said.

Some years ago he became curious about who had worn it and noticed it had a last name written on one of its interior belts.

Arreseigor eventually found out Shaw’s identity and learned he had been a victim of Argentine artillery.

"The story moved me. Knowing that he died just hours before the cease-fire. … it’s sad like all war stories," he said. "I just turned 60 and I demand our sovereignty over Las Malvinas, but I also pay homage to all of those who died — Argentine and British — because I think that’s the way to rebuild."

For Altieri, having his helmet has helped him find similar closure.

After the war’s cease-fire, Altieri’s helmet was taken to London by a British paratrooper who had pulled it from a heap of military equipment. After the man passed away, it was kept by his family until it was put up for auction four years ago.

At the time, Altieri offered about $520 (400 pounds), but a British man who collects war objects paid twice that amount and Altieri failed to persuade him to sell it.

"He’d say: ‘Even if the queen comes asking for it, I won’t give it away,’" Altieri recalled.

Some days ago, however, the helmet briefly went up for auction again on eBay for about $13,000 (10,500 pounds). When it was taken off the site, Altieri feared he had lost it for good until he heard the news: An anonymous Argentine entrepreneur had bought it for Altieri.

"All the memories of what I lived in the Malvinas came back to me," Altieri said.

He now hopes to display it at home before donating it to a Falklands war museum. "I want people to see it and see what happened to us there."

___

Associated Press journalists Paul Byrne and Natacha Pisarenko contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News World

U.S. prosecutors are looking into the development of Boeing’s 737 Max jets, a person briefed on the matter revealed Monday, the same day French aviation investigators concluded there were "clear similarities" in the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines Max 8 last week and a Lion Air jet in October.

The Justice Department probe will examine the way Boeing was regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the inquiry is not public.

A federal grand jury in Washington sent a subpoena to someone involved in the plane’s development seeking emails, messages and other communications, the person told The Associated Press.

The Transportation Department’s inspector general is also looking into the FAA’s approval of the Boeing 737 Max, a U.S. official told AP. The official wasn’t authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity. The Wall Street Journal reported on the probe Sunday said the inspector general was looking into the plane’s anti-stall system. It quotes unidentified people familiar with both cases.

The anti-stall system may have been involved in the Oct. 29 crash of a Lion Air jet off of Indonesia that killed 189 people. It’s also under scrutiny in the March 10 crash of an Ethiopian Airlines jet that killed 157.

The Transportation Department’s FAA regulates Chicago-based Boeing and is responsible for certifying that planes can fly safely.

The grand jury issued its subpoena on March 11, one day after the Ethopian Airlines crash, according to the person who spoke to The Associated Press.

Spokesmen for the Justice Department and the inspector general said Monday they could neither confirm nor deny the existence of any inquiries. The FAA would not comment.

"Boeing does not respond to or comment on questions concerning legal matters, whether internal, litigation, or governmental inquiries," Boeing spokesman Charles Bickers said in an email.

The company late Monday issued an open letter from its CEO, Dennis Muilenburg, addressed to airlines, passengers and the aviation community. Muilenburg did not refer to the reports of the Justice Department probe, but stressed his company is taking actions to ensure its 737 Max jets are safe.

Those include an upcoming release of a software update and related pilot training for the 737 Max to "address concerns" that arose in the aftermath of October’s Lion Air crash, Muilenburg said. The planes’ new flight-control software is suspected of playing a role in the crashes.

The French civil aviation investigation bureau BEA said Monday that black box data from the Ethiopian Airlines flight showed the links with the Lion Air crash and will be used for further study.

Ethiopian authorities asked BEA for help in extracting and interpreting the crashed plane’s black boxes because Ethiopia does not have the necessary expertise and technology.

The Ethiopian Accident Investigation Bureau intends to release a preliminary report within 30 days.

The United States and many other countries have grounded the Max 8s and larger Max 9s as Boeing faces the challenge of proving the jets are safe to fly amid suspicions that faulty sensors and software contributed to the two crashes in less than five months.

Both planes flew with erratic altitude changes that could indicate the pilots struggled to control the aircraft. Shortly after their takeoffs, both crews tried to return to the airports but crashed.

Boeing has said it has "full confidence" in the planes’ safety. Engineers are making changes to the system designed to prevent an aerodynamic stall if sensors detect that the jet’s nose is pointed too high and its speed is too slow.

Investigators looking into the Indonesian crash are examining whether the software automatically pushed the plane’s nose down repeatedly, and whether the Lion Air pilots knew how to solve that problem. Ethiopian Airlines says its pilots received special training on the software.

Dennis Tajer, an American Airlines pilot and a spokesman for their union, said Boeing held a discussion with airlines last Thursday but did not invite pilots at American or Southwest, the two U.S. carriers that use the same version of the Max that crashed in Indonesia and Ethiopia.

Tajer said airline officials told the unions that Boeing intends to offer pilots about a 15-minute iPad course to train them on the new flight-control software on Max jets that is suspected of playing a role in the crashes. He called that amount of training unacceptable.

"Our sense is it’s a rush to comply — ‘let’s go, let’s go, let’s go,’" Tajer said. "I’m in a rush to protect my passengers."

A spokesman for the pilots’ union at Southwest Airlines also said Boeing representatives told that union they expected the upgrade to be ready the end of January.

The spokesman, Mike Trevino, said Boeing never followed up to explain why that deadline passed without an upgrade. Boeing was expected to submit a proposed fix to the FAA in early January.

____

Krisher reported from Detroit. Associated Press writers David Koenig in Dallas and Michael Balsamo in Washington contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News World

A model who was a witness in Silvio Berlusconi’s “bunga bunga" sex parties trial in 2012 had high levels of heavy metals cadmium and antimony in her body when she died under mysterious circumstances this month, Italian prosecutors said Monday.

Imane Fadil, 34, had a level of cadmium — generally found in batteries or nuclear reactors — in her blood that was seven times higher than the norm, Milan prosecutor Francesco Greco said Monday, according to the Telegraph. The level of antimony — a heavy metal used in batteries, paint, ammunition, glass and plastic — in her body was three times higher than the norm.

Greco said officials were taking extra precautionary steps because they fear Fadil was exposed to radioactive substances. The prosecutor said although authorities believe Fadil may have been poisoned, they are not ruling out the possibility that she may have died of a rare disease.

DEAD MODEL LINKED TO SILVIO BERLUSCONI ‘BUNGA BUNGA’ TRIAL SHOWED ‘SYMPTOMS OF POISONING’: REPORT

Fadil was admitted to a Milan-area hospital in late January after exhibiting “symptoms of poisoning.” She reportedly also told her lawyer and family that she feared she had been poisoned before her death on March 1.

Imane Fadil died on March 1 and reportedly told her lawyer and family prior to her death that she feared she had been poisoned.

Imane Fadil died on March 1 and reportedly told her lawyer and family prior to her death that she feared she had been poisoned. (AP)

The Moroccan model was afraid for her safety ever since she testified in 2012 against the former Italian prime minister, who was accused of paying for sex with an underage woman at sex-fueled “bunga bunga” parties and wielding his power in an attempt to cover it up.

Berlusconi was found guilty, but the conviction was overturned on an appeal.

He was ultimately convicted on tax fraud charges and sentenced to community service. He still faces charges in connection with alleged witness tampering.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

On Saturday, Berlusconi denied knowing Fadil but said it was always sad when a young person died.

"I’ve never known this person and never spoke to her. What I read were her declarations that made me always think these were always invented and absurd things,” he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Source: Fox News World

Turkey’s president showed parts of a video taken by the attacker who killed 50 people at two mosques in New Zealand to comment on what he called rising Islamophobia.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan showed the clips over the weekend during campaign rallies for March 31 local elections. The video, which was blurred but had clear sounds of automatic gunfire, was shown to thousands of people at the rallies and was aired live on Turkish television.

Erdogan used the video to comment on attacks on Islam and rising Islamophobia. He accused the Western world for not calling the attack on the two Christchurch mosques "Christian terror," when acts committed by Muslims are called "Islamic terror."

He also referred to a manifesto by the suspected attacker, Brenton Tarrant, in which he threatened Turks and vowed to make Istanbul "Christian owned once more."

Erdogan then shifted his rhetoric to slamming the main opposition’s leader, as is common in all of his campaign rallies. He criticized the Republican People’s Party’s Kemal Kilicdaroglu for blaming Islam and Muslims for the attack.

The opposition leader had condemned the attack on Friday and also said the Islamic world should look within itself to understand the causes of terrorism.

Faik Oztrak, the vice chairman of the Republic People’s Party, or CHP, accused Erdogan of using the video as "propaganda materials for the sake of three or five votes." His comments were carried by the official Anadolu news agency Sunday.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said Monday that he told his Turkish counterpart and Erdogan’s vice president, who were visiting the country, that the video doesn’t represent New Zealand. He said it could also endanger New Zealanders.

Facebook said it removed 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand shootings during the first 24 hours after the massacre.

Source: Fox News World

Government experts from 25 countries have opened a meeting to look at ways of preventing an arms race in space, amid uncertainty whether some of the world’s biggest powers will actually find it in their national interests.

The informal, closed-door talks over two weeks starting Monday at the United Nations in Geneva will test the level of goodwill among key powers including Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States.

The Trump administration, for one, has touted its plans for a "Space Force."

The group’s chairman, Ambassador Guilherme de Aguiar Patriota of Brazil, said the meeting aims to reach a basic consensus on a list of elements that could one day be part of a possible agreement on space. He acknowledged that aiming for a treaty within the next decade would be "very ambitious."

Source: Fox News World

The Latest on yellow vest protests in France (all times local):

5:20 p.m.

France’s prime minister has announced a ban on yellow vest protests on Paris’ Champs-Elysees avenue and in two other French cities following riots on Saturday that left luxury stores ransacked and charred from arson fires.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said the ban would apply for an unspecified period in the neighborhoods that have been "the most impacted" in the cities of Paris, Bordeaux and Toulouse where repeated destruction has occurred since the yellow vest protest movement began in November.

Philippe announced new security measures Monday following a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron and top security officials aimed at avoiding a repeat of Saturday’s violence, in which rioters set life-threatening fires, ransacked luxury stores and attacked police around the Champs-Elysees.

He also said Paris police chief Michel Delpuech will be replaced this week by prefect Didier Lallement.

___

8:40 p.m.

French President Emmanuel Macron summoned top security officials Monday after police failed to contain resurgent rioting during yellow vest protests that transformed a luxurious Paris avenue into a battle scene.

The prime minister promised to announce new measures later Monday to avoid a repeat of Saturday’s violence, in which rioters set life-threatening fires, ransacked luxury stores and attacked police around the Champs-Elysees.

The new surge in violence came as the 4-month-old yellow vest movement demanding economic justice has been dwindling. Images of the destruction — including from a bank fire that engulfed a residential building and threatened the lives of a mother and child — could further erode public support.

High-end boutiques along the Champs-Elysees remained closed and boarded up Monday, some of them ransacked and charred from arson fires set by rioters.

Source: Fox News World

The French civil aviation investigation bureau BEA has concluded there were "clear similarities" between this month’s crash of an Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX plane and a Lion Air plane crash last October.

The French bureau said Monday that black box data from the Ethiopian Airlines flight showed the links and will be used for further study.

Ethiopian authorities asked BEA for help in extracting and interpreting the crashed plane’s black boxes because Ethiopia does not have the necessary expertise and technology.

The Ethiopian Accident Investigation Bureau intends to release a preliminary report within 30 days.

Source: Fox News World

Dozens of Serbian high school students have staged a sit-down protest demanding that authorities release a fellow student who was jailed during weekend anti-government protests in Serbia.

The students marched Monday from their school in downtown Belgrade toward the main police station in the Serbian capital, where they sat on the ground.

Authorities say they detained 18 people following incidents during demonstrations Saturday and Sunday against Serbia’s populist President Aleksandar Vucic.

Protesters on Saturday burst into the state-TV building in Belgrade. More skirmishes with police took place Sunday when protesters surrounded the Serbian presidency during Vucic’s press conference.

Protests against Vucic have been going on weekly for three months demanding democratic and media freedoms. Vucic has accused the protesters of violence, saying perpetrators will be punished.

Source: Fox News World

German authorities have charged three Iraqi men with membership in a terrorist organization on allegations they fought for the Islamic State group in their home country, including one suspected of attacks that killed American soldiers.

Federal prosecutors said Monday Mohammed Rafea Yassen Y., whose last name wasn’t given for privacy reasons, joined IS in his hometown of Rutba.

The 28-year-old is accused of 13 bomb attacks in the city from 2006-2008, causing death and injuries to "U.S. forces, the Iraqi army, local police and civilians." He also faces war crimes and accessory to murder charges.

Muqatil Ahmed Osman A., 29, and Hasan Sabbar Khazaal K., 27, are both suspected of fighting for IS.

They came to Germany in 2015 and have been in custody since they were arrested last summer.

Source: Fox News World

Turkey has announced a joint military operation with Iran against Kurdish militants.

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu says the operation against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, began Monday on Turkey’s eastern border.

The PKK has been waging an insurgency for more than three decades, and is considered a terror group by Turkey and its Western allies. Turkey regularly conducts airstrikes in northern Iraq against PKK camps and has cracked down on the group and alleged supporters since a peace process collapsed in 2015.

The PKK-affiliated Kurdistan Free Life Party, or PJAK, was formed in 2004 to fight for Kurdish autonomy in Iran.

Iran’s deputy interior minister visited Ankara last week and the two countries vowed to continue cooperation in fighting "terrorist groups," Iran’s official IRNA news agency reported.

Source: Fox News World


Current track

Title

Artist