Los Angeles

A 102-year-old woman facing eviction from her California home of nearly 30 years is getting help from Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The Los Angeles Times reports Thelma Smith was given until June 30 to move out by landlords who say their daughter needs a place to live.

Los Angeles’ rent control law provides relocation assistance for elderly and disabled.

But Smith, a retired secretary for the Sugar Ray Robinson Youth Foundation, lives in an unincorporated section of Los Angeles County, just outside the city limits. The law doesn’t apply there.

Schwarzenegger, who knew Smith through his involvement with the charity, called the eviction “heartless.” He tweeted: “Imagine doing this to a 102-year-old woman who gave back to the community her whole life.”

A spokesman says Schwarzenegger’s staff has met with Smith to find a solution.

Source: Fox News National

Los Angeles is on the verge of a significant disease outbreak in the coming months, according to prominent physician and media personality Dr. Drew Pinsky.

Pinsky issued the ominous warning during an appearance on the The Brian Kilmeade Show, citing the city’s stunning homeless crisis, growing rodent and insect infestation, and deplorable sanitation conditions.

“I live in the great state of California, the utopia that is California, which is a nightmare,” Pinsky said. “I want to give you a prediction here: There will be a major infectious disease epidemic this summer in Los Angeles.”

“We have tens and tens of thousands of people living in tents. Horrible conditions. Sanitation. Rats have taken over the city. We’re the only city in the country, Los Angeles, without a rodent control program. We have multiple rodent-borne, flea-borne illnesses, plague, typhus.”

“We’re going to have louse-borne illness,” Pinsky continued. “If measles breaks into that population, we have tuberculosis exploding. Literally, our politicians are like Nero. It’s worse than Nero.”

Earlier this year, officials began planning to remove all carpets from L.A. City Hall amid concerns about a typhus outbreak brought on by a rat infestation in the building.

“It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen in my life,” Pinsky said. “I feel like I’m on a train track waving at the train and the train is going to go off the bridge. The bridge is out.”

“Here’s what I want to do, I want to take away qualified immunity from the politicians so we can go after them for reckless negligence.”

Longtime Los Angeles business owner Karen Hix recently appeared on Tucker Carlson Tonight to shed light on the conditions in her city, sharing disturbing photographs of homeless encampments and garbage piles lining the streets of downtown.

“Some of these pictures are almost too disgusting to put on the screen, but we have a number of them, of RVs – people are living those full-time?” Carlson asked.

“Yes, people are living in them full-time,” Hix confirmed. “You’ll notice there is raw sewage that is coming out. This raw sewage ends up in one place – in our gutters, which go down to our ocean. It’s more than an environmental crisis, it’s a health crisis down in this area.”


Tucker Carlson interviewed Los Angeles resident Karen Hix the trash and raw sewage lining the streets of LA.

Dan Lyman: Follow @CitizenAnalyst


Source: InfoWars

Michael Jackson’s eldest child Prince is a college graduate.

Twenty-two-year-old Prince Jackson — whose real name is Michael Joseph Jackson Jr. — went through commencement ceremonies Saturday at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.

Prince Jackson graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

The day was celebrated in social media posts from the graduate and relatives in his famous family.

T.J. Jackson, the cousin who served as Prince’s guardian after his father died, tweeted, “it’s been a long road but you did it. Keep learning, keep growing and keep giving back!”

Prince Jackson was 12 when his father died nearly 10 years ago.

Michael Jackson has two other children, 21-year-old Paris and 17-year-old Prince Michael Jackson, known by the nickname Blanket.

Source: Fox News National

The Latest on the seizure of more than 1,000 guns in Los Angeles (all times local):

8:05 p.m.

Authorities say they’ve arrested a man after seizing more than 1,000 guns from a mansion in a posh area of Los Angeles.

Police and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives served a search warrant at around 4 a.m. Wednesday at the home on the border of Bel Air and Holmby Hills, not far from the Playboy Mansion.

Authorities said they received an anonymous tip regarding illegal firearms sales at a home that records indicate is worth several million dollars.

Authorities seized stacks of hundreds of rifles and handguns and thousands of rounds of ammunition, along with weapons manufacturing equipment.

Police arrested a man on suspicion of violating a state law that forbids the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-powered rifles.

___

6:12 p.m.

Authorities seized more than a thousand guns from a large Los Angeles home after getting an anonymous tip regarding illegal firearms sales in a posh area near the Playboy Mansion.

Officials say Los Angeles police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives served a search warrant around 4 a.m. Wednesday at the property on the border of the Bel Air and Holmby Hills neighborhoods.

The ATF says guns were recovered along with weapons manufacturing equipment and tools. Authorities say there is no danger to the public.

Photos from the scene showed stacks of hundreds of rifles and handguns and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Police officials say the investigation is ongoing in the hillside area where homes typically sell for millions of dollars.

Source: Fox News National

Authorities seized more than a thousand guns from a large Los Angeles home after getting an anonymous tip regarding illegal firearms sales in a posh area near the Playboy Mansion.

Officials say Los Angeles police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives served a search warrant around 4 a.m. Wednesday at the property on the border of the Bel Air and Holmby Hills neighborhoods.

The ATF says guns were recovered along with weapons manufacturing equipment and tools. Authorities say there is no danger to the public.

Television news footage showed hundreds of rifles and handguns laid out on a driveway.

Police officials say the investigation is ongoing in the hillside area where homes typically sell for millions of dollars.

Source: Fox News National

The California attorney general’s office will review how all 12 Roman Catholic dioceses in the state handled allegations of child sexual abuse that have resulted in payouts of hundreds of millions of dollars to victims.

Attorney General Xavier Becerra sent out letters to the dioceses on Thursday, Sacramento diocese spokesman Kevin Eckery told the Sacramento Bee .

The letters ask diocese to voluntarily preserve documents relating to abuse allegations involving clergy, staffers and volunteers that were received from 1996 to the present. The attorney general’s office will look into whether the archdiocese properly reported the allegations under California law.

The request could be the first step toward a full investigation of California dioceses, which serve an estimated 10 million worshippers.

“We intend to comply with both the spirit and the letter of what they’re asking for,” Eckery said.

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles announced it will cooperate.

Both dioceses said they have taken steps to ensure that suspected sex abuse is reported to law enforcement by priests, teachers and other employees.

“Even those who are not mandated reporters are reminded of the moral obligation to be aware for the signs of child abuse and to report it when there is a reasonable suspicion an abuse has occurred,” Sacramento Bishop Jaime Soto said in a statement Friday

“The Archdiocese of Los Angeles is committed to transparency and has established reporting and prevention policies and programs to protect minors and support victim-survivors in our parishes, schools and ministries,” the archdiocese said in a statement.

Last November, Becerra asked victims of clerical sex abuse to submit complaints to his office.

Many dioceses around the country have been hit with lawsuits and accusations that sex abuse by clergy and others was ignored or swept under the rug.

The Los Angeles archdiocese, which covers Santa Barbara, Ventura and Los Angeles counties, has paid a record $740 million in settlements to victims. In April, the archdiocese announced an $8 million settlement for a former Catholic school student who was molested by a coach.

Several dioceses in California have released updated counts of priests who had been accused of sexual abuse over decades.

Last year, a grand jury report in Pennsylvania detailed decades of abuse and cover-up in six dioceses, alleging more than 1,000 children had been abused over the years by about 300 priests. Since then, federal prosecutors and attorneys general in several other states have launched investigations.

A report by the Illinois attorney general in December said that 690 clergy members had been accused of sexual abuse, while church officials had only publicly identified 185.

“We think it’s a long time coming,” Joey Piscitelli, a board member of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, told the Bee. “We think it’s a bad idea for entities that have a history of covering up child abuse to report on themselves, and that’s what they’ve been doing. They have not been transparent in the past, and they have a history of covering things up.”

The California attorney general’s office review was praised by Joseph George, a Sacramento attorney. George told the Los Angeles Times that he has worked with abuse survivors to file with the attorney general’s office more than 100 reports of abuse involving clergy in Los Angeles, Oakland, Santa Rosa, Fresno, San Diego and Monterrey.

“The hope is that the hierarchy will be held accountable and the conduct will be conveyed to the public,” he said. “They keep talking about apologies and evil and mistakes and sins. But what we’re really talking about are crimes that were made by more than just bad apples.”

Source: Fox News National

The Latest on California reviewing how Catholic dioceses handled sex-abuse allegations (all times local):

6:30 p.m.

The California attorney general’s office will review how all 12 Roman Catholic dioceses in the state handled allegations of child sex abuse.

A spokesman for the Sacramento diocese tells the Sacramento Bee that Attorney General Xavier Becerra sent letters out Thursday asking the dioceses to preserve documents relating to clergy sex abuse. One letter indicated the disclosure would be voluntary.

The Sacramento diocese and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles indicated that they will cooperate.

Dioceses around the country have faced lawsuits and accusations that officials ignored clerical sex abuse or swept it under the rug.

The LA archdiocese alone has paid out about $740 million in settlements to victims. Several dioceses around the state have released lists naming dozens of priests that over the years and decades had been credibly accused of sex abuse.

Last November, Becerra urged victims to submit complaints of clerical sex abuse to his office.

___

4:34 p.m.

The California attorney general’s office will review how the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles handled allegations of child sex abuse.

The Los Angeles Times says Attorney General Xavier Becerra notified Archbishop Jose Gomez of the review in a letter Thursday asking the archdiocese to preserve documents relating to clergy abuse allegations.

In a statement, the archdiocese says it continues to fully cooperate with all civil authorities.

The archdiocese has paid $740 million in settlements to victims. Last year, it raised its tally of accused priests to 323.

It’s one of many around the country that have faced lawsuits and accusations that officials ignored clerical sex abuse or swept it under the rug.

Source: Fox News National

The California attorney general’s office will review how the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles handled allegations of child sex abuse.

The Los Angeles Times says Attorney General Xavier Becerra notified Archbishop Jose Gomez of the review in a letter Thursday asking the archdiocese to preserve documents relating to clergy abuse allegations.

In a statement, the archdiocese says it continues to fully cooperate with all civil authorities.

The archdiocese has paid $740 million in settlements to victims. Last year, it raised its tally of accused priests to 323.

It’s one of many around the country that have faced lawsuits and accusations that officials ignored clerical sex abuse or swept it under the rug.

Source: Fox News National

The Latest on the arrest of an Army vet suspected in a terror plot (all times local):

6:15 p.m.

The family of a U.S. Army veteran suspected of plotting terror attacks in California says they’re surprised by his arrest.

In a statement Monday, the family of Mark Domingo had no further comment about the criminal charges against the 26-year-old. The statement also asked for privacy.

Federal prosecutors said Domingo converted to Islam and wanted retribution for the New Zealand mosque attacks.

The suspect’s younger brother, James Domingo, told reporters outside the family’s Los Angeles home that he’d hoped Mark’s religious conversion would offer him some guidance.

James Domingo declined to say whether he believed his brother was guilty or innocent. He said he would “wait for the trial.”

Mark Domingo was arrested Friday on a charge of providing material support to terrorists. It’s not known if he has an attorney.

___

12:30 p.m.

Authorities say they thwarted a terror plot targeting white supremacists in California by an Army veteran who converted to Islam and wanted retribution for the New Zealand mosque attacks.

Federal prosecutors said Monday that Mark Domingo was arrested for planning to plant a bomb at a Nazi rally Sunday in Long Beach.

Domingo was arrested Friday on a charge of providing material support to terrorists. The rally never happened.

Court papers say Domingo discussed several types of attacks with an informant that included targeting Jews, churches and police officers.

He said he wanted revenge for attacks on mosques in New Zealand that killed 50 people last month.

A message left on a phone listed for Domingo was not immediately returned.

Source: Fox News National

A Southern California man who was imprisoned in Israel for trying to bomb a bus has been sentenced in the U.S. for lying to immigration authorities when he became a citizen.

Fifty-one-year-old Vallmoe Shqaire of Downey was sentenced to nine months in federal prison Friday for unlawfully procuring U.S. citizenship in 2008. He also was stripped of his citizenship and will be deported to Jordan.

Shqaire spent four years in prison for helping in the 1988 attempted roadside bombing of a bus. The pipe bomb exploded but nobody was hurt. At that time, Shqaire had ties to the Palestinian Liberation Organization, which was then considered a terrorist organization by the U.S.

Shqaire pleaded guilty in January to concealing the bombing conviction and PLO ties on his citizenship application.

Source: Fox News National


Current track

Title

Artist