Tech

FILE PHOTO: Uber Technologies Inc. CEO Dara Khosrowshahi and co-founder Ryan Graves ring bell on trading floor of NYSE during the company's IPO in New York
FILE PHOTO: Uber Technologies Inc. CEO Dara Khosrowshahi (2nd from R) and co-founder Ryan Graves (R) ring a bell on the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) during the company’s IPO in New York, U.S., May 10, 2019. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo

May 24, 2019

By Heather Somerville

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Uber’s first employee and one-time chief executive Ryan Graves will step down from the company’s board of directors, Uber said on Friday.

Graves this week informed the company of his intention to resign from the board, beginning Monday. Graves started at Uber in 2010 as the first employee and held a brief stint as CEO until co-founder Travis Kalanick took over that position. Graves is no longer working at Uber but had remained on the board.

Uber held an initial public offering earlier this month, raising $8 billion; its stock is trading about 8% below its IPO price.

(Reporting by Heather Somerville; Editing by Leslie Adler)

Source: OANN

FILE PHOTO: The logo of Amazon is seen at the company logistics centre in Boves
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Amazon is seen at the company logistics centre in Boves, France, August 8, 2018. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol/File Photo

May 24, 2019

(Reuters) – Amazon.com Inc shareholders overwhelmingly rejected a proposal that the company stop selling facial recognition technology to government agencies, a regulatory filing on Friday showed.

Some 2.4% of votes were in favor of the closely watched proposal, while the remaining votes were against it or in abstention. Amazon’s sale of the technology to law enforcement in Oregon and Florida has put the company at the center of a growing debate over facial recognition, with critics warning of false matches and arrests and proponents arguing it keeps the public safe. The tally excludes broker non-votes.

(Reporting by Jeffrey Dastin in San Francisco; Editing by Leslie Adler)

Source: OANN

FILE PHOTO: The logo of Amazon is seen at the company logistics centre in Boves
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Amazon is seen at the company logistics centre in Boves, France, August 8, 2018. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol/File Photo

May 24, 2019

(Reuters) – Amazon.com Inc shareholders overwhelmingly rejected a proposal that the company stop selling facial recognition technology to government agencies, a regulatory filing on Friday showed.

Some 2.4% of votes were in favor of the closely watched proposal, while the remaining votes were against it or in abstention. Amazon’s sale of the technology to law enforcement in Oregon and Florida has put the company at the center of a growing debate over facial recognition, with critics warning of false matches and arrests and proponents arguing it keeps the public safe. The tally excludes broker non-votes.

(Reporting by Jeffrey Dastin in San Francisco; Editing by Leslie Adler)

Source: OANN

FILE PHOTO: A man is reflected on Panasonic Corp's logo at Panasonic Center in Tokyo
FILE PHOTO: A man is reflected on Panasonic Corp’s logo at Panasonic Center in Tokyo, Japan, February 2, 2017. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/File Photo

May 24, 2019

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japan’s Panasonic Corp said on Friday it has not stopped any shipments of components to Huawei Technologies, a day after it originally called for a halt of transactions in line with a U.S. export controls against the Chinese firm.

“No transactions with Huawei have been suspended at the moment,” a Panasonic representative told Reuters. “We are still making checks whether the ban applies to our products.”

The Osaka-based company said on Thursday it had “instructed employees to halt transactions with Huawei and its 68 affiliates subject to the U.S. ban.”

Its Chinese unit later released a separate statement that it continues to supply to Huawei, stressing that transactions not covered by the ban have been not affected.

(Reporting by Makiko Yamazaki; Editing by David Dolan and Anshuman Daga)

Source: OANN

Xiaomi logos are displayed during a news conference in Hong Kong
FILE PHOTO: Xiaomi logos are seen during a news conference in Hong Kong, China June 23, 2018.  REUTERS/Bobby Yip

May 24, 2019

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp confirmed on Friday that it had dismissed the head of its Africa division for violating a Chinese law pertaining to indecent public behavior.

According to an internal letter dated May 23 and widely circulated online, the company dismissed vice president Wang Lingming for violating Article 44 of China’s public safety law.

Xiaomi confirmed the veracity of the letter, which also says Wang was detained for 5 days by public security bodies, but the Chinese company declined to comment further.

Reuters could not immediately reach Wang for a comment.

Article 44 of China’s public safety law states: “Whoever commits an obscenity against another person or deliberately exposes his body in a public place shall be detained for a period of no less than five days and less than ten days”.

Xiaomi appointed Wang as head of its newly created Africa unit in January. It later launched a partnership with e-commerce platform Jumia to distribute its phones in Africa, where it faces steep competition from Samsung Electronics, Huawei Technologies, and Shenzhen Transsion Holdings.

Xiaomi is the world’s fourth-largest smartphone vendor, according to research firm IDC, and has been expanding abroad aggressively as China’s smartphone market contracts.

(Reporting by Josh Horwitz; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

Source: OANN

FILE PHOTO: An illuminated Google logo is seen inside an office building in Zurich
FILE PHOTO: An illuminated Google logo is seen inside an office building in Zurich, Switzerland December 5, 2018. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann/File Photo

May 24, 2019

WARSAW (Reuters) – Poland has submitted a complaint to the European Union’s top court against copyright rules adopted by the bloc in April to protect Europe’s creative industries, which Warsaw says may result in preventive censorship.

Google will have to pay publishers for news snippets and Facebook filter out protected content under copyright rules aimed at ensuring fair compensation for the EU’s $1 trillion creative industries.

Poland has said the overhaul was a step backwards, arguing that the filter requirement could lay the foundation for censorship.

“This system may result in adopting regulations that are analogous to preventive censorship, which is forbidden not only in the Polish constitution but also in the EU treaties,” Deputy Foreign Minister Konrad Szymanski told public broadcaster TVP Info.

(Reporting by Agnieszka Barteczko; Editing by David Goodman)

Source: OANN

A bus passes a BT logo outside of offices in the City of London
FILE PHOTO: A bus passes a BT logo outside of offices in the City of London, Britain, January 24, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville

May 24, 2019

LONDON (Reuters) – Britain’s biggest telecoms group BT will be forced to give rivals greater access to its core network Openreach to encourage a faster roll-out of high-speed fiber cables, under plans set out by regulator Ofcom on Friday.

Currently rival companies to BT can access the former monopoly’s telegraph poles and underground ducts to lay their own fiber networks to reach residential and small-business customers.

Under the new plan, BT will have to extend this approach to rivals serving large businesses as well, improving the business case for other telecom firms to focus on fiber.

(Reporting by Kate Holton; editing by Jason Neely)

Source: OANN

A SpaceX Falcon 9 carrying the Crew Dragon spacecraft sits on launch pad 39A prior to the uncrewed test flight to the International Space Station from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral
FILE PHOTO: A SpaceX Falcon 9 carrying the Crew Dragon spacecraft sits on launch pad 39A prior to the uncrewed test flight to the International Space Station from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, U.S., March 1, 2019. REUTERS/Mike Blake

May 24, 2019

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (Reuters) – High-tech entrepreneur Elon Musk’s SpaceX company launched a Falcon 9 rocket from Florida on Thursday on a mission to carry the first batch of five dozen small satellites into low-Earth orbit for his new Starlink internet service.

The rocket blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at about 10:30 p.m. local time (0230 GMT Friday), marking a milestone in a global enterprise aimed at generating cash for Musk’s larger ambitions in space.

(Reporting by Joey Roulette in Cape Canaveral, Fla.; Writing by Steve Gorman; Editing by Paul Tait)

Source: OANN

FILE PHOTO: Uber
FILE PHOTO: Uber “JUMP” bikes are shown along a sidewalk in downtown San Diego, California, U.S., April 23, 2019. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

May 23, 2019

LONDON (Reuters) – Taxi app Uber will pilot its electric bicycle service JUMP in London from Friday as it makes 350 bikes available to rent in a part of Britain’s capital city, a key global market for the firm.

Uber, which floated earlier this month, has been expanding into new areas as it tries to broaden its business offering.

Electric JUMP bikes are already available around the world including in the United States and Canada and other European capitals including Berlin and Paris.

Users will be able to unlock a bike through the firm’s app for 1 pound ($1.27), with the first five minutes of a ride free of charge followed by a 12 pence per minute cost thereafter.

Scooter and bicycle services, car clubs and taxi apps are among the offerings vying to meet the challenge of travel in urban areas where regulators around the world and politicians are trying to cut congestion and improve air quality.

(Reporting by Costas Pitas; editing by Stephen Addison)

Source: OANN

FILE PHOTO: Tourists take pictures of a NASA sign at the Kennedy Space Center visitors complex in Cape Canaveral, Florida
FILE PHOTO: Tourists take pictures of a NASA sign at the Kennedy Space Center visitors complex in Cape Canaveral, Florida April 14, 2010. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

May 23, 2019

By Joey Roulette

MELBOURNE, Fla. (Reuters) – NASA has picked space technology company Maxar Technologies Inc as the first contractor to help build its Gateway platform in lunar orbit, a crucial outpost for America’s mission to relay astronauts to the moon in 2024, the U.S. agency said on Thursday.

Shares of Westminster, Colorado-based Maxar jumped more than 20% following the announcement by NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine at a meeting sponsored by a Florida college.

The firm-fixed price award carries a maximum total value of $375 million, NASA said in a news release.

The Trump administration has made a return to the moon a high priority for the U.S. space program, saying the mission would establish a foundation for an eventual journey to put humans on Mars.

Vice President Mike Pence’s March 26 announcement that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration plans to build a space platform in lunar orbit and put American astronauts on the moon’s south pole by 2024 “by any means necessary,” four years earlier than previously planned.

Maxar Technologies, formerly SSL, will develop power, propulsion and communications components for the lunar mobile command and service module, NASA said.

The power and propulsion element is a 50-kilowatt solar electric propulsion spacecraft, three times more powerful than current capabilities, NASA said.

(Reporting by Joey Roulette in Melbourne, Florida; Writing by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle; Editing by Richard Chang and Susan Thomas)

Source: OANN


Current track

Title

Artist