Nick Givas | Media And Politics Reporter
Michigan’s newly elected Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer canceled plans for an immigration detention center, prompting Republican State Rep. Thomas Albert to speak out on “Fox & Friends.”
“This deal had been under works for well over a year. This former prison facility has sat vacant for over a decade now,” Albert said Tuesday. (RELATED: Private Immigration Detention Center Says It Has Already Fixed Problems Identified In Watchdog Report)
“Immigration Centers of America came in and said hey, we’ll invest tens of millions of dollars to fix it up. We’re going to bring at least 250 really good paying jobs to your community. And you know, Gov. Whitmer came in and just with a heavy hand just killed the deal. It’s actually pretty devastating to my community.”
“Essentially it would hold illegal immigrants. You know, it’s not Shawshank Redemption,” he said. “This is, it’s a center that would be holding people who are, from my understanding more of civil infraction. So they’re not criminals. They’re really just being held until they can get their hearing and that’s what this center would do.”
Albert also claimed Whitmer demanded that anyone who claimed they were being separated from their families would be granted release from the facility.
“I wish some people in the media would look into what her stipulations were. So this deal had been in the works. She added some conditions to the development agreement. Some of them were reasonable,” he continued. “But one in particular basically said, if I could boil it down was if anybody claims or alleges that they’re being separated from a family, they’d have to be let go. And, of course nobody could comply with that. So it literally just torpedoed the deal.”
You can Follow Nick on Twitter
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: The Daily Caller
A Florida man was left paralyzed after he was shot three times by at least two teenagers who crashed a party he was hosting for his children and they refused to leave, officials said.
Volusia County Sheriff’s Office said 47-year-old Joel Tatro was throwing a party in his Oak Hill home on Sunday for his high school-aged children when four juveniles showed up uninvited.
When they were told to leave, one of the juveniles refused and an altercation ensued. During the confrontation a gun was pulled out, shots were fired and Tatro was shot in the neck.
Family members told Fox 35 that the gunshot went into the left side of Tatro’s neck, through his spinal column in the vertebrae and out his right shoulder. Doctors said the shooting left him paralyzed.
One of the suspected juveniles – identified Sylvano Leslie II, 17, – turned himself in to police on Monday night, the sheriff’s office reported.
A second teenager – 15-year-old James Powell – is on the run and the sheriff’s office is offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to his arrest.
Sheriff Mike Chitwood told Fox 35 that Tatro had allowed his high school sons to have friends over for a party and had stepped in when the party-crashers refused to leave.
"Here’s an incident where parents are doing the right thing. They’re having a party for about 10 of their kids; high school friends. They’re monitoring it. It’s invitation only. They were sitting out there at the fire pit, listening to music, doing what 15-year-old kids do, and it almost cost this man his life," Chitwood said.
Source: Fox News National
A federal judge ordered the state of California to pay three pro-life pregnancy centers and a conservative law firm a total of $399,000 after a state law meant to force "crisis pregnancy centers" to promote abortion was struck down.
The Supreme Court found the California law requiring pro-life centers to display information about how to obtain a state-funded abortion unconstitutional in June. Then in October, a federal district court issued a permanent injunction against the law in question, the Freedom, Accountability, Comprehensive Care, and Transparency (FACT) Act.
U.S. District Court Judge Terry Hatter for the Central District of California issued an order Monday saying that California must pay the Pregnancy and Family Resource Center of San Bernardino, His Nesting Place of Long Beach, Birth Choice of the Desert in La Quinta, and the Liberty Counsel a total of $399,000 in legal fees and other costs.
Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, called it a victory for children, mothers, and families, as well as for the freedom of speech.
“Pro-life pregnancy centers will no longer be compelled to speak a message that goes against their mission to save the lives of babies and women," Staver said in a statement. "Faith-based pro-life pregnancy centers cannot be forced to promote human genocide.”
The 2015 law required most pro-life pregnancy centers to provide information to clients on where they can find low or no-cost abortions, and forced them to disclose what services they do and do not offer on their front door, in their waiting room, online, and in every advertisement from billboards to business cards. A study found that 98.5 percent of the clinics subject to the law were pro-life facilities.
If the centers didn’t comply with the state-issued standards, they would be fined $500 for the first violation and $1,000 for each additional violation.
The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, called the law "unjustified and unduly burdensome."
Justice Clarence Thomas said in his majority opinion, "California cannot co-opt the licensed facilities to deliver its message for it."
Source: Fox News National
A Texas couple tried to smuggle nearly 70 pounds of marijuana in suitcases through Bush International Airport during the government shutdown, according to authorities.
Court records say a Transportation Security Administration officer in Sacramento told a deputy they saw what was believed to be marijuana in a suitcase belonging to Gheewalla-Fayyaz, the station reported. The deputy contacted police in Houston.
The TSA was one of the government agencies impacted by the 35-day government shutdown over President Trump’s demands to Congress for a border wall with Mexico. The shutdown ended Jan. 25.
The court documents say Fayyaz was “visibly nervous and was trembling” when officers approached him in the baggage claim area at Bush airport, according to the station.
According to the court documents, a search of the couple’s seven bags turned up 66 pounds of marijuana, the station reported.
The couple issued a statement, denying the charges, KPRC reported.
In 2017, Fayyaz and his wife were accused of trying to smuggle 18 pounds of marijuana in suitcases after deputies searched their vehicle during a traffic stop in rural Texas, the Houston Chronicle reported.
Source: Fox News National
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg returned to the bench on Tuesday, eight weeks after undergoing surgery for lung cancer.
The 85-year-old, who underwent surgery in December, arrived with her eight colleagues promptly at 10 a.m., walking unassisted to her seat to hear oral arguments.
She smiled slightly and looked about the crowded courtroom, wearing her traditional black robe and lace collar.
The justice went on to ask a total of five questions to counsel on both sides of a patent law dispute, including the very first question. The questions were technical in nature. Her voice was strong, laced with her familiar Brooklyn accent.
Ginsburg had last appeared in a public session in early December, shortly before the surgery to remove two cancerous nodules from her left lung. No remaining signs of cancer were discovered.
After working from home during that period, she returned to the court building for the first time Friday, to participate in person at the justices’ private conference. She told TMZ that she’s "just fine" as she walked through Reagan National Airport in Virginia.
Ginsburg, considered the most liberal justice on the court, is closely watched by court observers for any potential signs that she may retire. Should President Trump pick a conservative replacement, it would mark a significant rightward swing for the already conservative-leaning court. However, Ginsburg reportedly hired clerks for the term that extends into 2020, indicated she has no plans to retire immediately.
Ginsburg has dealt with a series of health concerns in recent years. She broke two ribs in 2012, and previously battled two bouts of cancer, in 1999 and 2009. She also had a stent implanted in her heart to open a blocked artery in 2014.
The Harvard Law School-educated justice was nominated to the Supreme Court by former President Bill Clinton in 1993 to replace retiring Justice Byron R. White. Ginsburg was Clinton’s first Supreme Court pick.
Fox News’ Brooke Singman and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News Politics
Jo-Whitney Outland, 55, of Bristol, Va., was charged last week with felony concealment of a body. Bristol police detective Steve Crawford said the investigation began Monday when Outland’s relatives were concerned about the welfare of her mother Rosemary Outland. Investigators believe Rosemary Outland, 78, died in late December.
Crawford said a letter found at the home and written by Outland appeared to indicate her mother died on Dec. 29, and she tried to revive her with CPR.
Crawford said authorities discovered the body propped up in a chair and covered with more than 50 blankets and pieces of clothing and more than 60 air fresheners. He said medical examiners will confirm the identification and cause of death.
“I’ve handled a lot of deceased people but nothing of this magnitude,” Crawford said. “It’s bizarre.”
Crawford said Rosemary’s body was discovered after a relative climbed in the house through a window after they had not heard from her. He said dogs and cats were discovered living in the home but have been taken out of the residence by animal control.
Outland told WJHL-TV on Thursday that she had covered her mother’s body out of respect.
"Yes, I put air fresheners around her body because I was in the room with her every night after she died, except for this past Monday… I covered her up out of respect for my mother, and I covered her up with blankets, yes I did," Outland told WJHL-TV.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News National
A seven-year-old boy was harassed and called "Little Hitler" after setting up a hot chocolate stand to raise money for President Trump’s border wall, his parents say.
Benton Stevens, of Austin, Texas was reportedly motivated to help fund the border wall between the United States and Mexico after watching Trump’s State of the Union on February 5 with his parents Jennifer and Shane, who are both active members with the Republican National Committee, KXAN reports.
Between his hot chocolate stand, a matching donor and Venmo receipts, Benton has raised close to $5,000 – but his parents say it was at the cost of his privacy after videos and photos of their son were posted to Facebook
“People think he’s brainwashed,” his mother, Jennifer, said. “Well, of course, he supports Trump because we do, and he hears how we talk and this and that. Call that brainwashing, but I call it parenting, because we instill our values in him.”
Benton set up his stand on Saturday at a strip mall northeast of Austin with the help of his brothers and parents, who made signs and brewed hot chocolate with him. Within an hour, his parents say, he made about $231 – but was forced to shut down after patrons complained to the store owner Benton had placed his stand in front of.
“I guess some liberals – or whatever you want to call them – they were griping at the owner (of the store) and going in and yelling at him and slamming him on Facebook,” Jennifer said.
Benton, however, wasn’t deterred, and was actually fired up by the responses he got from the public. He decided to set up his stand again on Sunday, and again, received criticism in person and online.
“He was called a little Hitler yesterday,” his mother said. “A guy pointed at him in his car and then he said that we didn’t like brown people. I don’t understand that at all.”
Despite the blowback, the Stevens family has promised that the money they raised will go directly to the wall.
“There’s a GoFundMe page and we’re also part of the RNC and we’re pretty connected there so we will 100 percent make sure it goes towards the wall," they said.
GoFundMe donations can be funneled to the Trump administration through a category called "Gifts to the United States" for "general use by the federal government," but donating to specific government projects is a much more complicated and unclear process, according to Business Insider.
In light of all the publicity surrounding Benton’s border wall fundraiser, his father told Fox News that it’s actually inspired some reconciliation across party lines in their Texas town.
"People who were originally very mean have started apologizing for what they said and sticking up for Benton," Shane said.
"He is close to $5,000 raised now and is thinking about doing a free hot chocolate stand for people from both sides of the debate since there are so many from both sides sticking up for him."
Source: Fox News National
2020 presidential hopeful Sen. Elizabeth Warren, reacting to revived allegations that administration officials discussed invoking the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump from office in 2017, proclaimed that members of his Cabinet would have a “constitutional responsibility” to do so if they believe he can’t perform his duties.
“My point here is that if they believe that Donald Trump cannot fulfill the obligations of his office, then they have a constitutional responsibility to invoke the 25th Amendment,” Sen. Warren, D-Mass., said Sunday after a rally in Las Vegas, according to The Nevada Independent. “Their loyalty under law is not to him personally. It is to the Constitution of the United States and to the people of United States.”
The possibility of using the 25th Amendment to remove Trump was stirred up last week by former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe who, in promoting his new book, described to CBS News the Justice Department meetings where officials allegedly discussed the option after the firing of then-FBI Director James Comey in 2017.
His spokeswoman later claimed that his comments were taken out of context, and that he was not aware of any “extended” discussions about the 25th Amendment.
“To clarify, at no time did Mr. McCabe participate in any extended discussions about the use of the 25th Amendment, nor is he aware of any such discussions,” she continued. “He was present and participated in a discussion that included a comment by Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein regarding the 25th Amendment.”
The comments, though, have revived interest among Trump’s critics in the extraordinary process.
Former President George W. Bush’s chief ethics attorney Richard Painter on Monday said Trump is “not well at all mentally” and needed to be removed.
“He is not capable of doing the job. He does need to be removed under the 25th amendment, but he stocked his cabinet with people who are unwilling to do that, and Congress is apparently unwilling to even try to remove him through impeachment,” he said on MSNBC.
Warren, who has sparred with Trump repeatedly for years, has called for Trump to be ousted before. In September, she reacted to an anonymous op-ed from an administration official that detailed an alleged effort by those in the administration to thwart Trump’s “misguided impulses.”
"If senior administration officials think the President of the United States is not able to do his job, then they should invoke the 25th Amendment," she told CNN. "The Constitution provides for a procedure whenever the Vice President and senior officials think the President can’t do his job. It does not provide that senior officials go around the President — take documents off his desk, write anonymous op-eds … Everyone of these officials have sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States. It’s time for them to do their job."
Fox News’ Brooke Singman and Ryan Gaydos contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News Politics
The former West Virginia official who made headlines in 2016 when she made a racist remark about then-U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama pleaded guilty last week to defrauding the Federal Emergency Agency out of thousands of dollars intended for flood victims.
Pamela Taylor, the former director of the Clay County Development Corp., pleaded guilty last week to taking more than $18,000 in relief benefits from FEMA that were intended to help those whose homes were damaged in the 2016 floods in the region.
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in West Virginia, the 57-year-old woman wrongfully registered for benefits and falsely claimed her primary residence had been damaged by flood waters. She claimed she was forced to stay in a rental property.
However, it was later discovered that Taylor’s home was undamaged by floodwaters and she was still residing there.
Taylor has agreed to pay of $18,149.04 in restitution, prosecutors said.
“The flood was a natural disaster. Stealing from FEMA is a manmade disaster,” said U.S. Attorney Mike Stuart in a statement. “The floods of June 2016 were historic and devastating to thousands of West Virginians. Lives were lost.”
Taylor, who will be sentenced on May 30 and faces up to 30 years in prison if found guilty, first captured national attention after she made a post-presidential election Facebook post saying: “It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels.”
She was removed in December 2016 from her post at the Clay County Development Corp., a nonprofit which provides services to elderly and low-income residents in Clay County. Her Facebook post was not mentioned as a reason for her dismissal.
Source: Fox News National