Audrey Conklin | Reporter
Wisconsin manufacturing facility Foxconn Technology Group announced Monday that it will open a new $10 billion plant by 2020 after talks with President Donald Trump.
Following his visit to the White House on Feb. 1, Dr. Louis Woo, special assistant to Foxconn CEO Terry Gou, said the company plans to begin production at its new plant by the 4th quarter of 2020, Reuters reports. Construction for the plant is likely to begin over the summer.
“Our commitment, from day one, has been to establish a winning formula for Foxconn and for Wisconsin,” Woo announced. “We continue to expand our presence around the state, create jobs and deepen our partnerships while innovating and adapting to meet changing market needs.”
Trump tweeted after his February meeting with Gou and Woo, “Great news on Foxconn in Wisconsin after my conversation with Terry Gou!”
Great news on Foxconn in Wisconsin after my conversation with Terry Gou! https://t.co/2wtuCdl7TX
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 1, 2019
The group will announce contractors for various construction jobs throughout the next year, and of those contracts, 95 percent will be rewarded to Wisconsin-based companies, Fox Business reports.
Wisconsin offered a nearly $4-billion incentive package in the form of tax and local tax credits in 2017 for the Taiwan-based group to move to the state and hire 13,000 people.
The Apple supplier specializes in creating liquid crystal display (LCD) screens, which are used for devices such as phones, tablets and more. The new facility is expected to be a “Generation 6” factory, meaning it will be able to create screens ranging in size from that of an iPhone to a television.
It was initially speculated that the facility would be “Generation 10,” meaning it would be able to create screens as large as up to 11 ft. After Friday’s meeting with the president, however, Woo said Foxconn will continue with plans for the smaller facility.
Foxconn and Trump came under scrutiny in January when Woo told Reuters that the manufacturing company might not build a factory, despite having accepted the state’s significant incentive package: “In Wisconsin, we’re not building a factory. You can’t use a factory to view our Wisconsin investment.”
Trump called Foxconn an “incredible company” last year at a rally in Wisconsin: “They came to Wisconsin with the most incredible plan. Has anyone seen this place? It’s the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen.”
Source: The Daily Caller
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Apple is seen at a store in Zurich, Switzerland January 3, 2019. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann/File Photo
March 18, 2019
(Reuters) – Apple Inc in a surprise move on Monday launched a new 10.5-inch iPad Air and updated its 7.9-inch iPad Mini ahead of its March 25 event.
The new iPad models are already available for order at apple.com and in the Apple Store app in the United States and the UK, along with a few other countries.
The 10.5-inch iPad Air, which includes Apple Pencil, starts at $499 for the WiFi model and $629 for the WiFi plus cellular model.
The new iPad mini starts at $399 for the WiFi model and $529 for the WiFi plus cellular model, the iPhone maker said in a statement.
With the new launch, the iPad will come in four different screen sizes, ranging from 7.9 inch to 12.9 inch.
The iPhone maker had said it would hold a media event on March 25, where it is expected to launch a television and video service, its next-generation AirPods and an AirPower wireless charging mat.
(Reporting by Sayanti Chakraborty in Bengaluru; Editing by Arun Koyyur)
An Apple company logo is seen behind tree branches outside an Apple store in Beijing, China December 14, 2018. REUTERS/Jason Lee
March 15, 2019
(Reuters) – Mobile phone chip supplier Qualcomm Inc on Friday won a legal victory against iPhone maker Apple Inc, with a jury in federal court in San Diego finding that Apple owes Qualcomm about $31 million for infringing three of its patents.
Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Qualcomm last year sued Apple alleging it had violated patents related to helping mobile phones get better battery life. During an eight-day jury trial, Qualcomm asked the jury to award it unpaid patent royalties of up to $1.41 per iPhone that violated the patents.
The case is part of a series of lawsuits around the world between the companies. Apple has alleged that Qualcomm engaged in illegal patent practices to protect a dominant position in the chip market, and Qualcomm has accused Apple of using its technology without compensation.
(Reporting by Stephen Nellis; Editing by Richard Chang)
FILE PHOTO: Customers walk past an Apple logo inside of an Apple store at Grand Central Station in New York, U.S., August 1, 2018. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo
March 15, 2019
(Reuters) – Apple Inc said on Thursday Spotify wants all the benefits of a free app without being free, as the iPhone maker responded to the audio streaming service provider’s complaint with European Union antitrust regulators.
Spotify, which launched a year after the 2007 launch of the iPhone, said on Wednesday Apple unfairly limits rivals to its own Apple Music streaming service.
Apple’s control of its App store deprived consumers of choice and rival providers of audio streaming services to the benefit of Apple Music, which began in 2015, Spotify added.
In response, Apple said it has “approved and distributed nearly 200 app updates on Spotify’s behalf, resulting in over 300 million downloaded copies of the Spotify app.”
“The only time we have requested adjustments is when Spotify has tried to sidestep the same rules that every other app follows,” Apple said in a statement. https://apple.co/2TDPBPo
“Spotify is free to build apps for — and compete on — our products and platforms, and we hope they do.”
(Reporting by Subrat Patnaik in Bengaluru; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)
FILE PHOTO: A woman holds her phone near an Apple company logo in Beijing, China December 14, 2018. REUTERS/Jason Lee
March 15, 2019
By Stephen Nellis
(Reuters) – A U.S. federal judge has issued a preliminary ruling that Qualcomm Inc owes Apple Inc nearly $1 billion in patent royalty rebate payments, though the decision is unlikely to result in Qualcomm writing a check to Apple because of other developments in the dispute.
Judge Gonzalo Curiel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California on Thursday ruled that Qualcomm, the world’s biggest supplier of mobile phone chips, was obligated to pay nearly $1 billion in rebate payments to Apple, which for years used Qualcomm’s modem chips to connect iPhones to wireless data networks.
The payments were part of a business cooperation agreement between the two companies amid the peculiar patent licensing practices of the consumer electronics industry.
In general, the contract factories that built Apple’s iPhones would pay Qualcomm billions of dollars per year for the use of Qualcomm’s patented technology in iPhones, a cost that Apple would reimburse the contract factories for. Separately, Qualcomm and Apple had a cooperation agreement under which Qualcomm would pay Apple a rebate on the iPhone patent payments if Apple agreed not to attack in court or with regulators.
In a lawsuit filed two years ago, Apple sued Qualcomm, alleging that the chip supplier had broken the cooperation agreement by not paying nearly $1 billion in patent royalty rebates.
Qualcomm in turn alleged that it stopped paying the rebate payments because Apple had broken the agreement by urging other smartphone makers to complain to regulators and making “false and misleading” statements to the Korean Fair Trade Commission, which was investigating Qualcomm over antitrust allegations. Apple responded that it was making lawful responses to regulators in an ongoing investigation.
Judge Curiel sided with Apple, ruling that Qualcomm owed the missed rebate payments.
“Qualcomm’s illegal business practices are harming Apple and the entire industry,” Apple said in a statement.
Don Rosenberg, executive vice president and general counsel of Qualcomm, told Reuters in a statement, “Although the Court today did not view Apple’s conduct as a breach of Apple’s promises to Qualcomm in the 2013 Business Cooperation and Patent Agreement, the exposure of Apple’s role in these events is a welcome development.”
The decision will not become final until after the trial in the case, which begins next month. And it is unlikely that Qualcomm will make a new payment to Apple.
Apple’s contract factories, which under normal circumstances would pay Qualcomm for patent royalties owed on iPhones, have already withheld the nearly $1 billion in payments to Qualcomm. Qualcomm’s Rosenberg said those withheld iPhone payments have already been accounted for in Qualcomm’s existing financial statements.
“Apple has already offset the payment at issue under the agreement against royalties that were owed to Qualcomm,” Qualcomm’s Rosenberg told Reuters.
(Reporting by Stephen Nellis; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)
Apple company logos are seen as two MacBooks stand next to each other in an office in Vienna, Austria January 3, 2019. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
March 14, 2019
By Stephen Nellis
(Reuters) – Apple Inc on Thursday launched a television advertising campaign promoting its stance on data privacy, seeking to differentiate itself from tech industry rivals such as Alphabet Inc’s Google and Facebook Inc that have become the target of regulatory scrutiny over the issue.
The 45-second commercial will begin airing on U.S. TV stations Thursday and run throughout the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s annual “March Madness” basketball tournament that draws millions of viewers, Apple said.
The ad will be shown in other countries later, but Apple declined to say whether it would air in China or how much it was spending on the campaign.
The spot shows a variety situations such as people closing window blinds, doors or shower curtains to seek privacy and says, “If privacy matters in your life, it should matter to the phone your life is on. Privacy. That’s iPhone.”
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has frequently spoken about the company’s position against the collection of personal data. In particular, Cook has singled out the assembly of profiles of consumers for the purpose of targeting advertisements – the heart of how Google and Facebook make money.
But the television spot is the first time the Apple has pressed the issue to consumers in a national ad campaign. Apple’s only previous privacy advertisement was a billboard at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January that said, “What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone.”
Apple’s campaign comes as large technology companies are under unprecedented scrutiny of their data privacy practices. Google and Facebook have drawn consumer lawsuits and inquiries from lawmakers.
Both companies have said they are making changes to boost user privacy. Last week, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said the company plans to encrypt more of the conversations happening on its messaging services, which could limit Facebook’s visibility into those conversations.
Apple’s primary rival is Google, which makes the Android operating system that powers most of the world’s mobile phones. Google this week said it is working on privacy enhancements for Android, such as locking down access to a phone’s camera and microphone.
For its part, Apple is trying to persuade consumers that it can provide competitive features, such as customized news reading lists, without Apple viewing their data.
Apple’s phones do collect data on consumers, but the company has said that it cannot view that data because it remains encrypted with a personal postcode on the user’s device or has identifying information stripped away before being sent to Apple.
(Reporting by Stephen Nellis; Editing by Tom Brown)
- Peter Strzok told Congress in 2018 that he deleted communications with Lisa Page, but he claimed he did so for “personal” reasons.
- An attorney for Strzok says that the former FBI official deleted the records before he was removed from special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia team.
- Strzok testified he was asked to review his personal phone and email accounts for any work-related documents. He said he conducted a search of those devices but found no FBI materials on them.
Former FBI official Peter Strzok told Congress in 2018 that he deleted “personal” communications he had with his mistress, former FBI attorney Lisa Page.
“As a fact of the matter, following the — at some point, I — you know, it was related to personal reasons — deleted all those,” Strzok told lawmakers on June 27, 2018, according to a transcript of the testimony released Thursday.
“But they were the personal communications, not the work ones,” added Strzok, who acknowledged having an extramarital affair with Page.
Aitan Goelman, an attorney for Strzok, told The Daily Caller News Foundation on Thursday that Strzok deleted the messages before he was removed from the Mueller team.
“Pete deleted personal communications from his personal iPhone before and unrelated to these investigations,” said Goelman, who added in a follow-up comment that the deletions were made prior to July 27, 2017, when Strzok was kicked off the Mueller probe.
Goelman did not provide a specific date for the deletions.
Strzok, who was fired from the FBI in August 2018, said he had been contacted by the Justice Department’s Office of the Inspector General (OIG) to provide any work-related communications he had on his personal cellphone and email accounts.
As deputy chief of FBI’s counterintelligence division, Strzok oversaw the Trump-Russia investigation, dubbed Crossfire Hurricane. He also played a leading role in the Hillary Clinton email investigation, which focused on whether the 2016 presidential candidate mishandled classified information on her private email server.
One issue that arose during that investigation was Clinton’s decision to delete around 30,000 emails that she deemed to be personal in nature. The former secretary of state provided another 30,000 emails to the State Department in December 2014. Republicans have asserted that Clinton may have deleted work-related emails as well from her server, which was housed at her private residence in New York.
In the case of Strzok and Page’s personal communications, the OIG made the request after finding the pair had exchanged anti-Trump text messages on their FBI-issued cellphones. Strzok was removed from the special counsel’s team after Michael Horowitz, the inspector general, told special counsel Robert Mueller about the texts.
Strzok said he conducted a search of his personal accounts and devices but found no work-related messages. (RELATED: Doug Collins Releases Peter Strzok’s Congressional Testimony)
He made it clear in his testimony that he was allowed to conduct the search on his own, without the involvement of the FBI or OIG.
During Strzok’s congressional hearing, Goelman said that he would not agree to provide his client’s personal communications “to the committee or anybody.”
“Just to clarify, we were asked to provide any work-related communications on Special Agent Strzok’s personal devices. And he reviewed and found that there weren’t any, and we told the IG that. We have not agreed, nor do we agree now, to open up all of Special Agent Strzok’s personal communications on his personal devices to the committee or anybody,” Goelman said.
Strzok also said that he was unaware of any attempts by the OIG or FBI to use subpoenas to obtain his personal communications.
The Strzok-Page texts were discovered during an investigation of the FBI’s handling of the Clinton email investigation.
The messages showed that Strzok and Page exchanged disparaging remarks about President Donald Trump. They also discussed aspects of “Crossfire Hurricane,” the FBI counterintelligence probe of the Trump campaign.
In one text on Aug. 8, 2016, Strzok told Page that “we’ll stop” Trump from becoming president. In a text message a week later, he discussed an “insurance policy” that the FBI should take out in the event of a Trump election victory.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: The Daily Caller
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Apple is seen at a store in Zurich, Switzerland January 3, 2019. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
March 14, 2019
BERLIN (Reuters) – The European Union’s competition watchdog is considering opening a probe of Apple over allegations that it uses its app store to gain an advantage on its own services over rivals’, the authority’s chief said on Thursday.
Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, told German newspaper Tagesspiegel her watchdog would examine if there were parallels with Google, which in 2017 was fined over 2 billion euros for unfairly disadvantaging rivals on its platform.
“We have to examine the role of Apple and Apple’s app store,” she was quoted as saying. “If we conclude that they have a market-dominating position, then the case would be comparable to our proceedings against Google.”
The EU’s consideration of a possible probe of Apple comes after music streaming service Spotify filed a complaint against the iPhone maker, saying it was unfairly limiting rivals to its own Apple Music streaming service.
(Reporting by Tassilo Hummel, writing by Thomas Escritt, editing by Joseph Nasr)
The Daily Caller Shop | Contributor
You can’t put a price on safety. With the Loocam 1080p Home Security Camera System, 8CH DVR with 2TB HDD 6 x 2.0MP 1920TVL IP67 Weatherproof Outdoor Indoor Surve, you can protect your home and business from break-ins. Unlike security cameras from the past, the footage is available live on your phone through the accompanying app.
The wide-angle camera shows a full 105-degree view of inside or outside. In rain, snow, extreme heat or cold, the Loocam’s durable metal IP67 weatherproof housing will stay working. Automatic Predator Night Vision activates immediately when the sun goes down. To protect against potential thieves, the anti-vandal cable bracket is foolproof. The price has been reduced from $299.99 to $249.99.
Easily stream live or recorded video to your iPhone or Android with Loocam LooCloud App. If you see anything suspicious, you can click and drag on the video to digitally zoom in.
Protect your home with cutting-edge technology by purchasing the Loocam 1080p Home Security Camera System, 8CH DVR with 2TB HDD 6 x 2.0MP 1920TVL IP67 Weatherproof Outdoor Indoor Surve in the Daily Caller shop for a sales price of $249.99.
Like this deal? Check out Vault, the best way to secure your online data for just $9.99/mo.
You can find even more great deals like this at The Daily Caller Shop.
Source: The Daily Caller